My DH hurt my feelings.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Sometimes men seem to say the most cold, hurtful things & they do not even realise it is hurtful. I swear they came from another planet. LOL And I think it gets worse as they get older. LOL But? They probably say some similar things about us women also. Much as we would love to think we are perfect, I am sure we aren't. Darn it! LOL I'm so sorry your feelings were hurt. Hopefully he sees his mistake now & will not repeat it in the future. One thing I have to remind myself a lot, is that how I think of my quilting is not going to be how others see it. And that is okay too.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

All I have to add is, isn't this a wonderful place where we can vent and get the support of others who give good advice because they may have been in the same spot. Hugs to all.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by UglyCook
I picked up a book for my dh for Father's Day (and forgot to give to hime) called "Help! I Married a Quilter" It might help.

Since he is a guy, he probably didn't mean it as an insult. To him it was just a comment. When I started doing machine embroidery, my dh thought he was so cute going around saying, "If I don't watch out, she'll embroider on my underwear". He never said anything nice about my embroidery and I got really mad. I didn't want to be mad at him forever so I went out and bought him some really nice undies and embroidered on them. I put them in his Christmas stocking and fell out of my chair laughing when he pulled them out in front of our children. He's never made that stupid comment again!
:lol:

did he ever wear his undies?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad that your DH apologized. It takes a "real" man to do that.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Aw, HUGS, Hon! Bf and my kids call me the "crazy cat lady", cuz I am always rescueing something. I really am not , lol, only have 4, but I know they love me, lol!
Glad your husband apologised!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Many husbands and guys just do not understand quilting or why it is important to us. Mine always wonders why I "waste so much time" and think that it is important to "make works of beauty for others". I know that he just feels that it takes my attention away from him and he complains bitterly that I spend too much time in my sewing room and fusses and grumps if I leave fabric or sewing tools out anywhere. I try to cut and press (I like to use the kitchen) when he isn't around. I had another round of complaints today because I met my quilt buddies at the LQS to use the mid-arm to quilt Community quilts and wasn't home to make his lunch. I just continue to do what I do and have accepted the fact that he will never understand my need to quilt. He is a great guy in many other ways but just isn't my quilting fan and never will be.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Please don't let him get you down, he didn't think before opening his mouth (imagine that). Maybe he might be feeling left out? Who knows what goe's thru their heads at times. I'm pretty sure he knows he hit a nerve, and pretty sure he might be feeling like he wishes he could take it back. I'm glad you share as much as you do with us. I hope you and your hubby can get this worked out, and hope he learns from this, support your spouse in whatever they do.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Mine always says yep, looks nice. My Mom and oldest sister taught me many years ago to not worry about what anyone else thinks, only care what I think of my quilts or any other craft. If it looks good to me then that is all that matters. They never gave me any compliments on anything. Makes for good training. Of course, I'm my own worse critic.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM

I hear ya! I'm used to that kind of attitude tho. My DH is always asking "how much did that cost you?" I struggle really hard to find fabric at garage sales and only buy on sale. Hes put his foot down on me buying anything now. Its not a necessity he says! I say it is! lol
Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM

I thought I would post again & tell you what my Dad says about my Mom's quilting. LOL She has picked it up again after a 40 yr break from it. I am so loving watching her with todays tool's & gadgets. LOL

Dad: "Why are you making all these quilts? We have Central heat! Are we in for a Arctic blast this year where we will lose power? We can buy blankets cheaper at WalMart! Why do we need so many quilts? Why go back in time with todays blankets & comforters on the shelves in the stores so cheap? There is no way we can use all of these quilts you are making!" And on & on he goes. But Mom just makes a face at him and keeps on making quilts. LMBO She says it keeps her from doing illegal things like strangling him. LOL Dad just does NOT GET IT! It is good for my Mom to sew & quilt. Seriously. I think it is healthy for her. Otherwise she would sit like he does in front of the TV & do nothing. Her mind & memory is sharper than his! LOL