My humble childhood

Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM

We also watched the 3 Stodges beat each other up and watched many TV westerns where the good guy killed the bad guy with (oh my) a gun!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM

I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I remember lots of the things you guys mentioned and I would go back to the good old days in a heartbeat. Our family was not well off and we wore hand-me-downs, but we always had lots of food on the table and even went to the movies once in a while. My siblings and myself did odd jobs to make spending money. I remember that I shelled beans for a neighbor and she would give me a few nickles. My Dad always worked very hard and my Mother too. Above all we were given lots of love and you cannot put a price on that.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Above all we were given lots of love and you cannot put a price on that.
Exactly! though my friends used to tell me at the lunch table that I was being mistreated, didn't have a cell phone (got one for graduation because I got a job and my license), wasn't allowed to wear shorts to school and have chores, hang clothes outside, and to top it off, have to ask to go out with friends. I feel loved because my parents care about me so much and want to teach me things (even if I don't want to learn responsibility by cleaning the bathroom) and that they care where I'm at and can honestly tell someone the general vicinity of where I am (or should be) But I feel very loved through it all
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM

We ran with scissors, never wore a bike helmet, skateboarded bare footed, climbed trees, played with frogs & toads, & so many more I can't remember them all. Ah to be young again.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 PM

The song called "A DIFFERENT WORLD" sung by Bucky Covington sums up what my childhood was like blended with Lots of Faith in the Lord and family. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: You Betcha!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Remember going to the show and seeing (1) a newsreel [WWII];
(2) a cartoon; (3)coming attractions; (4) a short documentary [for example how pencils are made) (5) 2 [yes, 2] full length movies. And, you could stay through as many showings as you could stand.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by calla
I walked to school, and ate what was in my brown paper bag from home..........calla
My nephew's did a skit about their mom and said she walked to school up hill both ways LOL LOL LOL
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Never mind seat belts--as a child, I remember standing on the bench seat between my Mom and Dad in our '52 Ford (it was yellow and my Dad always said 'lemon on the outside and lemon on the inside' Last Ford we ever owned, he hated it so much) and my brother and sisters crammed into the back seat. But I also remember driving with my own son and him lying on the front seat with my hand on his belly and a pillow on the floorboards just in case he rolled (and that was in 1974!!)

I know how to pluck a chicken and eviscerate it too. And how to singe it and cut it into pieces for frying.

Did anyone else take pork ribs to school with a bit of salt twisted into some waxed paper? When a pig was butchered, the ribs and all fat would be put into a huge vat and slowly rendered all day, then the lard would be poured into crocks and cooled. The bits of meat in the bottom of the vat would often be fried up again and served with breakfast, but oh those ribs!! If only I had known how much better they would taste, years later, with bbq sauce!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM

don't forget the 3 stoogies who beat the crap out of each other and poked each other in the eye.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 PM

As my DD were growing up, I made it my business to know where they were, and who they were with. Younger DD had a problem with being where she should be for a while. I would just show up, embarrass her, and drag her home. When word of my antics got around town, one mother called me and demanded I tell her where HER DD was. I did not even know her DD! I guess she figured that since I ALWAYS found my DD, I could do it for her too! I had a terrible time convincing her that it was not a trick, I just knew my daughter and how her mind worked. Shw called me several times over that year. She even called to demand I tell her who had impregnated her DD! I still feel sorry for her. I never did meet her DD.