My humble childhood

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Dee

Amen to all that are my memories also.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 PM

We were poor folks...my Grandma bought my shoes too big and stuffed toilet tissue in the toes, that way I grew into them eventually. Had one pair for everyday and one pair for Sunday for church. Made dresses out of chicken feed sacks and I can never forget those itchy, drop down drawers I had to wear in the winter...Can you imagine kids today having to go to school with a lard bucket for a lunch box? Or wearing handmade or hand-me-down clothes??
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Oh the good ole days!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
mim

did you get surplus food from the government?? I loved the dried apricots and peaches. I wasn't too crazy about all the cornmeal -- and there was butter, powdered milk, and dried egg powder (ugh)

I think that changed during WW2 when all that went to the military. So it must have been a WPA project to keep farmers busy and paid.

The first day of school was agony -- after no shoes for the whole summer. Our feet were leather tough.

On the other hand my MIL told about being called uppity because she wore shoes to class in high school. She lived in Water Valley, Mississippi

Mim
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Oh the cheese was soooooooo good!!!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 PM
mim

yeah -- I forgot the cheese -- the only time we ever got cheese -- yummy!!!

I wonder why the gov't doesn't buy stuff from farmers for surplus foods now instead of paying them NOT to grow produce. Perhaps it isn't politically correct to distribute unbranded foods instead of expensive things with food stamps. We certainly happy to get food that we didn't usually afford.

Funny thing, though -- I had no idea that we were poor. we had enough to eat -- garden and my father shot rabbit and squirrels for meat. And we raised a few chickens.

Times change and we were grateful instead of demanding

Mim

Originally Posted by Pam 304
Oh the cheese was soooooooo good!!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Does grateful still exist? Sometimes I wonder.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Car seats? try a baby on top of a folded blanket in a laundry basket on the front seat. And I lived.

Mom used to make my brother and I put old bread bags on our feet before putting our boots on. We still laugh ever time we seen the Wonderbread dots!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

I gave my Granddaughter a bake set for Christmas and had to explain about "pretend". I wanted to cry because she was already 5 or 6 yrs old. My son said better listen to Gma because she could just make you play in the rain the way she did us! I reminded him that I played with them in that warm rainy day AND we had fun. We danced and put on plays. Lost innocence ; wish we could find it again.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
NICE people didn't have their underwear showing! No bra straps hanging out or backside cracks showing and you wore underwear and a slip. Ann in Tn
I'm so sick of seeing (private things) that I'm not suppose to see and have no desire to see on other people. My mom and dad would never have let me leave to house looking like that, and I would have been too ashamed to in the first place.