Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish) >
  • My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish)

• My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish)

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    So how 'bout we call off the grammer Nazi's for now and actually
    NICE! Thanks a lot for that lovely comment.
    Old 04-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi V. You've got a great idea and I understood on first reading that you submitted a rough draft. Yes, there are some spelling and punctuation errors, but I know you'll correct those.

You might conclude your letter by leaving your phone number in case others want to share ideas or contribute to your effort. Perhaps, someone might offer a plot, others might donate seeds or seedlings, while others might offer to plant and weed or pick and distribute the produce.

If you can keep only one person from going to bed hungry, then you will have made a difference.
    Old 04-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
    Everybody totally 'gets' the point of your message - they are just trying to make it easier for YOU to get YOUR point across by making sure the writing is coherent, the spelling is correct, the grammar is correct and the whole thing makes sense.
    If you want people (meaning the public you are writing to) to also get your message, make the message easy to read, easy to understand, and not irritating with numerous errors of any kind.
    And you need to understand that there quite a few of us old fogies on this board - people who if they didn't live through World War II, had parents, uncles, aunts, or other family members who lived through it, fought in it or died because of it - and calling someone a "Nazi" is not considered any kind of joke. I'm sure the youngsters of today don't think a thing of it and when this generation is gone and the "greatest generation" is gone, then maybe that will be a joke - right now, it isn't.
    Now that you put it that way, I understand completely why I might have offended some people. Sometimes I forget I'm a lot younger than a lot of people here so it didn't occur to me that those on the other side of the generation gap might not have found it so funny. Again, I'm really, really, REALLY sorry. I feel awful about it. I wasn't trying to be offensive or rude. I was just trying to make light of something and unknowningly used something that people older than me don't take so lightly.
    Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by OnTheGo
    Hi V. You've got a great idea and I understood on first reading that you submitted a rough draft. Yes, there are some spelling and punctuation errors, but I know you'll correct those.

You might conclude your letter by leaving your phone number in case others want to share ideas or contribute to your effort. Perhaps, someone might offer a plot, others might donate seeds or seedlings, while others might offer to plant and weed or pick and distribute the produce.

If you can keep only one person from going to bed hungry, then you will have made a difference.
    I'm a bit against leaving my number in a publication everyone in the county going to read. More so because of the break-in that happened while I was babysitting two months ago. But I am trying to look for area organizations that would accept produce donations so if people catch on they'll have places to drop off their food. I haven't gotten very far on that yet because I started towards the end of the afternoon on Friday (so everything was closing up). So far I got a "maybe, but most likely yes" on the Boys and Girl's Club...I talked to the desk clerk who was 99% positive, but said I'd get more reliable information if I talk to the person in charge. I'm going to pick back up Monday when everything's open.