Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers. >
  • My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers.

• My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Years ago I raised and showed Hymalayan cats. My male would baby sit with all the kittens and help care for them. The cats I have in the house now are from my barn cats litters. The oldest is a blue point male (7 yrs),next is a Seal point male (9 months), third is a Lynx point female (7 months). Old male avoided the kittens like a plague! Now I catch him playing with them from time to time. The youngens play all the time but the two males usually just sit and watch the little one like she is the best thing since canned tuna! We call them the King, Prince, and Princess. They are all neutered even though they don't go outside once inside cats. "Whole" cats will spray or mark regardless of being male or female. But the biggest thing going for cats is NO HOUSE BREAKING!! (and they don't bark at the mailman)LOL
    Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 AM
    Lyn

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
    Great thread, and timely here. Have three kitties --Miss Tatiana, around 9 or 10, she was here first. Our orange boy died in the fall, and she was an only cat for about a month.

In October, my husband brought home two males from a foster home, 2.5 and 7.5 year olds (Rory and Gandolf) who have been together since Rory's birth. They tolerate each other very well; play fight, lick, share food.

Miss Tatiana has always been a princess, she isn't without blame; she was very sick 18 months ago.

Recently (past month?) we have been having some serious peeing and territory issues.

New, extra littler box, lid off old box, still Tati peed on the bathroom rug. If its all her, I'd be surprised. She is somewhat barricaded by 28 lbs of cats lying in the studio doorway, cant get to the litter boxes without them harassing her; Gandolf stalking her, its just utterly ridiculous.

Yesterday, I had to take Tati to the vet; she screamed bloody murder as I tried to get her into her carrier, and the next thing I know, I had Gandolf hanging off my arm!! He attacked ME for touching HER!!!!

They are crazy for sure... I am going to look into these pheromones....anything that will chill the beasties!!!
    I have moved litter boxes around the house. Right now there are several downstairs and one upstairs. Because my males will sometimes block my females from the litter box I had to move one upstairs. This has helped with the peeing on the bathroom mat (that and hanging the mat over the shower door after we are finished.) It is spring and the boys are frisky. This lasts for a few months. You may take away their ability to mate but it is still hardwired in the brain.
    Old 03-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Our cat "brothers" have been fighting for 11 years now. I think it's a guy thing.
    Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
    why do people insist on believing animals have human emotions??????
    is it all the cartoons kids have watched over the years of talking rabbits, pigs, coyotes or what??

or the Disney lovey dovey stuff that shows a made up dinosaur lovingly tending it's babies ??

a cat is a cat is a cat - especially if they aren't fixed - if they were brother and sister and not fixed you'd be having lots of little incest babies around and the cats wouldn't care less or even KNOW it wasn't "right"
    Sounds like someone was having a bad day....
    Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM
    Power Poster

hopefully this is a passing faze, or is that phase? anyway, i took in a mamma cat and her two girls. they fight at times too. but not all the time luckily. and yes, they all are fixed.
    good luck hon. just give them both lots of love. maybe one is feeling left out...
    Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 AM

I have 2 female cats mother/daughter that I adopted 2 years ago and they just started fighting. I have read everything I could find on the subject and the only thing they say is "territorial" or "illness". They also say that cats hide being sick. I have an appointment next week at the vets to see if that has anything to do with it.
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
    Kas

Originally Posted by Lisanne
    =It definitely does. I'm not at all for neutering. Give the cat a vasectomy to keep it from fathering unwanted kittens, but allow it its masculinity.
    I prefer to not have my house smell like cat pee! An unaltered male cat will spray everything to claim it as his! Nasty.