Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • my miccrowave timer died- it's only 21 yr old >
  • my miccrowave timer died- it's only 21 yr old

• my miccrowave timer died- it's only 21 yr old

Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Default my miccrowave timer died- it's only 21 yr old

I was cooking sweet potatoes and starting smelling this really odd smell...then it started smelling burnt. Oh, wow, sweet potatoes burn...I've never done that before.

So we may splurge and buy a new one. We're wanting to get an over the range one with the exhaust attached. I want one that has a good exhaust. I'll be visiting the different home stores to see what's available.

What brands have you liked? Have you tried installing one yourself? Was it difficult to do?

Thanks
    Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
    Power Poster

I have a Samsung and I love it.
    Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM

I just purchased my third one. My first one was a Tappan many years ago, it was eventually struck by lightening. I had my second a good while and then it went out completely. Someone gave me my third one and then it went out. I have had this one about a month and so far everything seems o.k. I was smart this time and purchased the insurance from Sears. It is a Kenmore. It seems that appliances don't last very long these days. Mine have all been countertop microwave ovens. Good luck with making a choice.
    Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 PM

I've had my Kenmore countertop microwave for 14-15 years & never had a problem with it. I'm still using my Kenmore stove that was bought in 1972. The only thing that doesn't work on that is the timer--no big deal since I don't cook much anyway.
    Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM

I have an LG that I like. It has all the buttons on the bottom, instead of on the side, which was great when my kids were younger and shorter, and wanted to warm up their hot chocolate or pop popcorn. The buttons on the bottom also mean that the microwave is wider than normal. It has pre-programmed buttons for things like softening butter (which I use ALL the time), ice cream, frozen OJ, cream cheese.

About the installation - my husband did it himself, while I hovered. The hardest part of installation, IMO, is the bulk and weight of the microwave. Ours came with very clear directions and was simple and easy. Of course, we simply replaced the existing microwave - not sure if you'll have to wire anything extra because you're doing a new installation.
    Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM
    Power Poster

regarding over the range, be sure you are tall enough to get things in and hot things out without dumping them on yourself!! I thought I wanted over the range til I used one at my son's house and found that it was very inconvenient for me. If your cabinets are low, then it might interfere with pots on the range top. We recently redid the kitchen and got a new countertop and I'm very pleased with it. GE.
    Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM

I have a GE Spacemaker over my stove and love it
    Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM

I have a whirlpool above my electric stove and have loved it, it is getting pretty old but still runs.
    Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM

We purchased a Panasonic for one reason only. It was the only model available with REAL buttons. I loath the "flat panel" buttons where the button is under a sheet of plastic. The plastic always cracks!! When it was time to buy a new oven/range I looked and looked and looked for one that had something other than that cheap plastic panel plus the other features I needed/wanted ... had to settle for the cheap plastic panel and I'm regretting it!!
    Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM

When we built our house 7 years ago we put in a over the range microwave and I didn't know how I would like it because I am short. But I have had no problems. Of course I am careful taking out a hot dish but it has worked out well and there is still plenty of room for pots, even large stew pots.