Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • my sewing machine saga  *grrrrr...* >
  • my sewing machine saga *grrrrr...*

• my sewing machine saga *grrrrr...*

Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    That is horrible. The difficult person is not you. I would not accept that machine.
    i agree with little. i would refuse delivery, right after i cancelled the charge.
    it sounds like Mr. Nice Guy set you up.
    Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Well, I received a very humble apology from Mr Nice Guy, who told me how chagrined he was when he found out that the machine had not been sent out when it was supposed to be. I was mistaken about the relationship between Nice Guy and S.O.B.: one does not work for the other, they have a partnership with, if I am correct, Nice Guy selling quilting frames and SOB providing the machines for the frames. Nice Guy said that he had to talk SOB into selling the machine because he originally didn't want to do the extra work to service it, etc (it hadn't been for sale) and ship it out. Nice Guy also said that had he known it wasn't going to ship promptly he would have driven the 25 miles to his partner's store and picked it up, packed it and sent it out himself, but that he had been promised it would ship within a week. He said that he himself sometimes has to "grit his teeth and smile" when dealing with his partner, who I gather can be a bit cantankerous.

So, I am hoping the machine arrives in good working order on March 1st so I can get right to work quilting the top for my friend. I'm feeling a bit guilty for being so annoyed with Mr Nice Guy who really does seem to be, well, a nice guy. My little unofficial boycott of his business is over, but you can be darn tootin' sure that I will never patronize his partner's store.

Thank you all for your kindness and advice. :)
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

who will do the servicing? i'm not sure i understand the relationship between Nice Guy, SOB and Buyer. I know Buyer is you, of course, but i don't know the rest.
    who did you actually buy from? after all, partners are partners. both are responsible.
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM

If you paid by credit card contact card company, cancel order. You don't have to pay return shipping unless you open package. Write in large bold letters "RETURN TO SENDER"
    cancel credit card and forget these people.
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    who will do the servicing? i'm not sure i understand the relationship between Nice Guy, SOB and Buyer. I know Buyer is you, of course, but i don't know the rest.
    who did you actually buy from? after all, partners are partners. both are responsible.
    I contacted Nice Guy who had the Juki TL-98Q listed on his site. He didn't have any that weren't made in China (naturally, since they switched manufacture from Japan in 2008), but there was a floor model on a frame that was made in Japan. I bought it from him, it was serviced and packed up and sent out (sloooowly) by his partner, who has a sewing machine retail and repair shop.

And yes, I agree that since Nice Guy sold it he is ultimately responsible. And he recognizes that. It would maybe be nice if he recognized that with some sort of rebate, but at this point I will just be happy to have the machine. Now I just have to hope that SOB's repair skills are better than his business sense/interpersonal skills. ;)
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by bibiche
    Well, I received a very humble apology from Mr Nice Guy, who told me how chagrined he was when he found out that the machine had not been sent out when it was supposed to be. I was mistaken about the relationship between Nice Guy and S.O.B.: one does not work for the other, they have a partnership with, if I am correct, Nice Guy selling quilting frames and SOB providing the machines for the frames. Nice Guy said that he had to talk SOB into selling the machine because he originally didn't want to do the extra work to service it, etc (it hadn't been for sale) and ship it out. Nice Guy also said that had he known it wasn't going to ship promptly he would have driven the 25 miles to his partner's store and picked it up, packed it and sent it out himself, but that he had been promised it would ship within a week. He said that he himself sometimes has to "grit his teeth and smile" when dealing with his partner, who I gather can be a bit cantankerous.

So, I am hoping the machine arrives in good working order on March 1st so I can get right to work quilting the top for my friend. I'm feeling a bit guilty for being so annoyed with Mr Nice Guy who really does seem to be, well, a nice guy. My little unofficial boycott of his business is over, but you can be darn tootin' sure that I will never patronize his partner's store.

Thank you all for your kindness and advice. :)
    I think this guy is giving you a sob story. Forget both guys.
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sewgull
    If you paid by credit card contact card company, cancel order. You don't have to pay return shipping unless you open package. Write in large bold letters "RETURN TO SENDER"
    cancel credit card and forget these people.
    I am telling you that is what I would be doing right now. There is more of those machines floating around and I would go somewhere else. All it takes is a call to the credit card company right now and tell them there is a charge that is not suppose to be there and they do not have the machine to send out to you, and you want to cancel the sale. I have done it several times on my bank Visa to a few suppliers that have jerked me around.

All they are doing is jerking you around. Drop them like a bad habit and call it a day!!!

Billy
    Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM

So you think I'm being too trusting again? I dunno, I've talked to this guy at length on the phone and he really does seem like the real deal... *sigh* I don't know what to do. First, I need the machine now. And I would want someone to give me the benefit of the doubt. And maybe if people trusted each other more than everyone would be nicer...

Or maybe I will totally get screwed. argh!
    Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 PM

This is a sewing machine you will possibly use for many years to come. I personally wouldn't want to think about the poor customer service you have had each time you sit down to sew. There are so many machine dealers, surely you could find one that treats customers respectfully. Getting a new sewing machine is suppose to be a happy, exciting, joyous occasion not a constant headache. I would do a chargeback (like many have suggested) and send the machine back.
    Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM

you are buying a machine sight unseen from a guy who has a partner he admits he has trouble with, but maintains a partnership with. they are both giving you stories about why the thing is late. they are saying it was serviced. really? you know you can't trust them. if they do the servicing, how long will it take to get it back each time? is there a guarantee? will you have to fight them every time something goes wrong? this was, after all, a floor model. it may have been badly used.

please get rid of them. call your card company and tell them you don't have the merchandise and don't want it. they didn't keep their delivery promise and now it's too late. cancel the charge. of course, they already paid the merchant. but that's why people use cards. so they have recourse for cases like this. the card company will make them return the money (to the card company). the charge will be deleted from your bill. in the meantime, do not accept the package. if it comes when you're not home, don't open it. call whoever delivered it and have it taken away. refuse delivery. do not sign for it. if you keep it, you will kick yourself. look on ebay, craigslist, anywhere. buy a used one (this is used after all). there are other possibilities. google sewing machines not made in china. sewing machines made in japan. made in italy. in germany. in sweden. they ARE out there. buy a junker for right now if you have to. just dump these con men.