Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!! >
  • my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!!

• my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 AM

I'm so sorry that this happened. You have a right to vent!! It's inexcusable. Please don't let those people in your house again.
    Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 AM

Oh boy those little "monsters" would be in so much trouble, Momma would be in triple trouble for not watching them. I can only imagine their own home. How sad they are not taught to show respect for others. That was completely uncalled for and I am ever so sorry for you. I raised three kids, now 23, 22 and 18 and they would NEVER have done that in my home let alone anyone elses. To each others toys? probably at times but boy oh boy...
    Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    In this case I feel speaking with the BF or the parents would have no effect. The next time those kids are in your home, right after they take off their shoes at your door, you should have them sit down and tell them your house rules. Explain to them what they can and cannot do. Maybe even have a few board games or some crafty items or a movie for them.

I would also tell them straight out how what they did to your sewing room made you feel,and you know deep in their pockets they have more respect for the things of others. Make sure you ask them if they have any questions and if they understand, and make sure they all say "yes." Also, if they do not feel the need to follow your rules and for some reason they come back to your house, they will have to sit in ___ chair/step/sofa/porch and not move until they leave.

It may work, it may not, but they did it and they need to be called on it. At least you know you tried.

edit: Another thing you could do although you probably don't want to do anything for them, is sew each up a pillowcase or something small. Wrap them as a gift. After they agree to the rules present them and watch how they react. That should give you a little insight. They're just kids. They can't help who their parents are.
    We had friends with adopted children from a very poor background and they did a lot of testing to see how far they could get, and the best thing for them was setting boundries. Kids need and actually like rules and boundries. I agree with the above quote, and I think the sooner the better. Sometimes it works better without the parents being around. If you want to build a relationship with the kids having each one make something to show them how hard quilting really is and why you treasure your work so much.
    Aren't you glad we have an area we can vent and get advice that we only have to read and not give it a second thought if we don't want? I hope you can move on and start a new and even better project. Good luck with whatever and this will be one holiday you will never forget.
    Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

There is NO Excuse for that!
    The children should have been SPANKED and the mother boiled in oil!!!!

Mother should have raised them better!

I would be there to help you if I could!!!!

Regards and Best of Luck in the future...

Aunt Doggie
    Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 AM
    Banned

These brats are repeatedly told to sit down and do for a couple of minutes and then up at at it again ! I have wanted to slap the crap right out of the dil so many times ! No wonder my blood pressure is up .
    To answer the question about their house . Torn up , trashy mess . I wasn't raised this way and I cannot stand it ! I'm not putting up with anymore of it . I told bf if things don't change that I'm leaving . I've had my fill of his damn family . Act like a bunch of idiots . Sorry to be such a crab this morning . Annie
    Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

They wouldn't be invited back to my house....period... :evil:

I'm soo sorry this happened to you!
    Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Annie, You aren't a crab, you are justifiably irate! I can think of another phrase that begins with justifiable...homicide!

But seriously, I am so sorry that this has happened. I am glad you stood your ground and made your feelings clear to your BF...after all, he was there too when all this was going on. He can't be responsible for the reactions and bad parenting of his DIL,and son, but he could have stepped in .

Try to have a good day.
    Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 AM
    Banned

I dont know about you guys but if I was at someones house and I acted up I would get a spanking and sent home. And upon arriving home I was in for another one from my mom. Then if it warranted it she would tell my dad who after work would give it to me again!

Getting your ass torn up 3 times in one day for something you did that morning would teach you pretty quick!! I think it was some sort of secret society thing between parents because that was across the board for all of my friends.

Billy
    Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM

If anyone needs a slap up the side of the head its the Mom. How dare she let the bra.. (sorry children) run amuck in your home and how dare she laugh at your situation. She sure isn't setting a very good example. You must have been so tempted to punch her in the nose but you proved that you are a better person than she ever will be. What was the father doing? It sounds like a firm hand is needed and not for the kids.
    I'm so very sad that this happened to you.
    Old 01-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Totally understand your anger. And can not believe the mother thinks it is humorous. She is the one that needs to be smacked for allowing her children to do such things. She would definitely not have an invitation back if that were me. Hope you are getting things back in order.