Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My son asked me a question while in the sandpit.. >
  • My son asked me a question while in the sandpit..

• My son asked me a question while in the sandpit..

Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    We fly ours 24/7 and replace when it gets tattered. My pet peeve is people flying "rags"....so disrespectful ...IMHO..
    Me too!
    Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
    I don't have a flag up at my house, but I have a flag up in my cubicle at work.

I support the military & believe it's more important to act than just wave a flag around. (off the soap box now)
    i didn't mean to make it a soap box issue. lol
    He just felt like patriotism had waned...and wondered why a national tragedy caused all the flags to fly and the support to be open. He was just wondering if people forgot . Maybe he was having a down day while over "there". He is home now..thankfully.

Alot of strangers had Thanked him for his service,on his week long trek getting back to San antonio from Afghatistan..It felt so good to him..he got choked up a few times..
    Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM
    Google Goddess

yes we fly ours 24 hours a day (if you fly a flag after dark you are to put a light on it, my husband said this as he is a retired volunteer fireman)
    Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM

I fly my flag every day and I flew it every day before 9/11.
    Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    We fly ours 24/7 and replace when it gets tattered. My pet peeve is people flying "rags"....so disrespectful ...IMHO..
    Ditto - and raises my hubby's blood pressure when he sees tattered flags flying - but then again, some people think it's better than flying nothing at all - soooo....????
    Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 PM

I don't have a flag at home, but do also have one in my office at work, like redkimba. And I always wear red on Fridays.
    Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    i didn't mean to make it a soap box issue. lol
    He just felt like patriotism had waned...and wondered why a national tragedy caused all the flags to fly and the support to be open. He was just wondering if people forgot . Maybe he was having a down day while over "there". He is home now..thankfully.

Alot of strangers had Thanked him for his service,on his week long trek getting back to San antonio from Afghatistan..It felt so good to him..he got choked up a few times..
    Being new to the Board, I didn't realize your son is in the military; I thought your avatar showed you and your young son.

Now that I know it is your adult son, a soldier no less, asking why more flags aren't being flown, it is disturbing. Not because he asked/noticed but because he felt the need to ask if anyone remembered! I'm so very sorry that, on his return home, this should be one of the things he noticed.

Flying a flag may seem a small thing to some but, given your son's question, it really is a big thing, isn't it? Especially to those who are putting their lives on the line to defend it and us! Please thank your son for me for his service and, for asking this question!! My flag will continue to fly, no matter where I am.
    Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 AM

i get to thank him and hug him for everyone in a couple weeks!

heading to texas end of the month..he was gone for 10 months..the picture is of him and his youngest son, Caleb.

he is on a couple weeks R&R right now..i am so excited to be going down there!

The question was not meant to really "question" anyones patriosim..there was so much pride and we wore it all on our sleeves so to say,
    after 9-11..

After joey came home, i adopted another soldier from a list..i like sending a box of something every month or 6 weeks..to a soldier! it is the mom in me!