Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group >
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group

• Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
    Banned

I would follow their rules or join a different charity group.
    Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 AM

I know what those 'donated' bags contain as my guild gets lots of them after an older quilter has passed away and the family just wants to get rid of everything that's in the house.
    If I was in your church group I'd take what the leader gives out and replace the worn, faded and holey stuff with my own materials. I don't believe in giving someone a charity quilt that from made of junk.
    Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I would follow their rules or join a different charity group.
    this seems to be the best solution. after all, 3 decades is a long time. the purpose, i suppose, is to cover as many people as possible. to someone who has nothing, those quilts are probably beautiful.
    Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM

I had a flyer from a church group that was making baby quilts for 3rd world countries and the "rules" asked that the little quilts not to be hand quilted - but to be either tied or machine quilted - BECAUSE - the quilts would be washed in a river/creek and be beaten on rocks. Kind of puts it in perspective.
    Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
    Power Poster

What exactly is the meaning of "world relief"? That is, how do these quilts get to the people who need them? I'm wondering if these ladies ever talk to those who receive these items. If the recipients don't care and will take anything, then maybe it would be less of a problem for me. However, there is also the factor of how much does it cost to transport these items to the recipients? I would have a problem if it costs $10 to transport a crummy quilt when it would cost the same amount to transport a better quilt that will look nicer and last longer.

I would do some discreet "digging" to find out exactly how these quilts are used, transport costs, etc.
    Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM

I have volunteered at a charitable quilt event many times and found that the person in charge just wanted to have quantity instead of quality since the quilts are "for charity"- her words. The person in charge actually said to me, "That is just fine- remember these are for charity". I finally stopped going as it would make me "crazy to do less" just because it is for charity. Find another outlet for your charitable spirit.
    Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 PM

A church in my town does the same thing when making quilts, and some are just awful looking. I ask quite a few of the ladies about their quilts and they said, "they will just end up under a bridge someplace" So I am thinking basically they are for the homeless. Sad, but true.
    Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM

same here.
    Old 03-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Do the ladies or the woman in charge ever expect the quilts to be washed? If so, how do they expect the middle layers to stay in place? Maybe you should wash one in the expected manner to show how the wear and tear will affect the quilt. Sounds as if you will have lumps and bumps no one could use. Are you actually using DIRTY fabric? Are there any sanitary codes about making/sending/giving quilts? Putting a piece of fabric under a good microscope and letting the good ladies look might be all it takes. ALL germs look like they could give you the plague.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM

I have had some similiar issues with a charity quilting group. Not in the material but in the way the group is handled and the emphasis on quantity rather than quality. Our leader seems to have some recently developed personality issues and is very negative and critical even when someone is donating batting. When one quilt was topstiched, I took out the stitching and redid it. Our leader was not happy but slowed down and is doing a a somewhat better job. However, due to the leader's issues, the group is dwindling and my friend and I are moving to another friendlier group.

Saturday will be our last day at this group.