Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group >
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group

• Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=
    I think it's always a fine line comparing what we would accept for ourselves versus what someone with nothing would accept, but then again it's not very gracious to ask someone with nothing to accept what we ourselves find unacceptable. I think the lady in charge is not being very gracious, despite her no-doubt good intent...[/QUOTE] I too would find it hard to belong to a group withthe attitude in church ministry. If it is not good enough for us why should it be good enough for some poor soul through no fault of their own to use? There is a saying and it goes like this "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." and maybe this leader should get a gift of this type that she wants the poor to receive and see how she would feel about it and give it to her publicly so that she can see what others might have to say. That is just me, but I think that is what I would do.
    Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    I suspect that not all of the members of the group are ... uh... excessively thrifty. But the leader seems to be, and she has a very strong personality.
    It's hard to work with but it may be a life long habit. I once worked with a WWII survivor when I taught. She would go through our garbage cans at the end of the day and pull out all kinds of things and forced us to reuse and conserve. If she could control who got new things she did.
    MaryKatherine
    Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 AM

I actually feel the same way you do..BUT.. I have an idea I know what this 'charity quilt' thing is..around my neck of the woods, the Mennonite women do this regular. The quilts are 'sorta' made the same way, but I really don't know the 'quality' of the fabrics. BUT, the idea is..these are quilts sent to other countrys, where the people HAVE NONE!! So, at this moment what are they using to keep warm? & is this 'old raggy quilt a 'treasure? for them? Maybe we need to actually look at it from the other side. Again, I don't like the idea of using some of those fabrics you talked about either!!! Also, ask them if you could get feedback from the people receiving the quilts!?!?
    Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 AM

I am not sure what the charity is that you are quilting for, my church has done quilting for Lutheran World Relief (LWR). LWR has criteria for the size and weight of the quilt along with other criteria. The quilts may be used for people, but it is more likely that they will be used for animal covers, ground cover or shelter. That is part of the reason that so many different types of fabrics may be used, most of which are recycled (still clean and usable however). My church is moving away from donating quilts to LWR because, LWR wants a monetary fee with each quilt for shipping and no religous symbols can be used and the rules keep getting harder to follow.

I would also ask questions to the quilting group so you have a better understanding. "This is how we have always done it" is not an answer.
    Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
    Maybe you could suggest using all the best stuff first, and if at some point you run low you could consider using the imperfect pieces...or those could be donated to an animal shelter to help other less fortunate creatures.

I think it's always a fine line comparing what we would accept for ourselves versus what someone with nothing would accept, but then again it's not very gracious to ask someone with nothing to accept what we ourselves find unacceptable. I think the lady in charge is not being very gracious, despite her no-doubt good intent...

Ditto to this. Also, you might want to look for another charity group. If you joined to make friends within the church, you are going to have to quietly, but kindly, look for ways to circumvent the leader's frugality. By that, I mean, don't criticize openly and maybe ask if you can look through the materials to find something that might work better. Charity doesn't mean ugly or ruined...WWJD? Does the church really want to be represented by ugliness? Better to have 5 nice quilts to donate than 10 ugly ones. Really, you may just need to look for another group.
    Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Default it's okay for a charity group to have rules, but ...

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    I had a flyer from a church group that was making baby quilts for 3rd world countries and the "rules" asked that the little quilts not to be hand quilted - but to be either tied or machine quilted - BECAUSE - the quilts would be washed in a river/creek and be beaten on rocks. Kind of puts it in perspective.
    It's okay for a charity group to have rules. However, if they require the use of certain fabrics and/or techniques, it's even nicer if the reasons for those requirements are explained. I would say that most of us on this board are so very blessed that we do not need to use our quilts the way the many recipients will need to use them. They are not subject to daily washings in industrial strength machines because we do not spend long stretches of time in the hospital. They are not outside and our only source of cover/protection from the elements because we are not homeless. They do not carry our few precious belongings in them because we are blessed with a car and/or other means of transportation.

That said, you should still be able to be proud of anything you are making, giving, or donating to a person or organization. It should be clean, usable, and suitable for the purpose of the charity.

If, even after being given the reason for any rules/requirements, (general) you still don't agree or want to abide by them, then please find a different group to work with. (This is not just for making quilts, but for any volunteer/charity work.)
    Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 AM

I felt the need to speak plainly to one of the groups I joined in my town. Now I travel 70 kilometres to sew with a different group...it is something you will have to expect might happen. However, I am with you that donated goods should at least be a decent donation and not worse than a cast off. Perhaps you might feel happier making the whole quilt yourself from the donated material?
    Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM

Hi everyone - just my two cents: in the scriptures, 25th chapter of Matthew, Christ tells us that whatever we do to one of these brothers of mine, "even the least of them, you did it to Me." I'm just thinking that anything we give from our hearts, even charity quilts, should be given our best effort, even if we use scraps to make them. True, they may be used to cover a homeless person - who might be homeless due to addictions problems - taking shelter under a bridge somewhere. But that quilt may be the only piece of evidence that person has, that they have any value left as a human being. You never know when that one tiny scrap of fabric might be the reminder they need to not give up hope, not give up belief in something greater than their seemingly hopeless existence. I say there's nothing wrong with being frugal and thrifty and utilizing any and everything fit to use, but not lose sight of why you're doing it in the first place.
    Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Could you mention the Golden Rule? The poor need our help, not our trash!!!!
    Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by coopah
    Does the church really want to be represented by ugliness? Better to have 5 nice quilts to donate than 10 ugly ones.
    I don't know, if there are 10 families in a village that need a warm blanket, I bet they would rather get 10 ugly ones than 5 nice ones. How would you feel if you didn't get a quilt at all?

I do agree with MOST charity quilts, like for cancer patients, quilts of valor, and sick kids, to make it as nice as possible, something you would be proud to call your own.