Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group >
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group

• Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM

I heard it said many years ago, "God is not a junk dealer." God gave his best, not his second best, or the left overs.
    Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 AM

I hope you find a way to reach these people without creating hard feelings, because this situation needs to be addressed in my opinion. Charity quilts or not, these seem to be sub standard, and the recipients deserve better. I was not clear as to whether the fabrics are washed before you work with them, but it is risky for you to handle them if they are not. We are getting warnings right and left about stored fabrics and old clothing being a nesting place for bed bugs and other insects, not to mention mold. I'm afraid i would have to bow out and donate my time to charity in a better way. Good luck to you if you decide to speak up. Maybe you will be surprised and find that someone else in the group will stand up and agree with you.
    Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM

i help the local Lutheran church group make quilts to give to nursing homes, crisis nurseries, etc. There are only about eight of us in the group. We use material that is donated or from our own stashes. all material donated is looked over for quality and cleanliness as well as usefulness. We donate nonuseable materials such as upholstery fabric etc to other charitable organizations that could use them. Backings are made from good used flat sheets we pick up at local thrift stores. Batting is bought on the roll from fabric store, we pay for it from quilts we have sold at annual bake and craft sale. We dont sew the batting together but try to make sure it comes together in middle of block so that when we tie knot it we are catching both edges. Yarn is either donated or bought at thrift store.
    Once a year all quilts made are displayed over back of pews at church and are blessed by the minister. Anyone wishing to buy one for personal use may do so at prearranged price with the money going toward purchase of more batting, we average roughly 100 quilts a year ranging from baby, lap,twin and queen sizes. The largest quilts go for $75.00 which I think is rather cheap but i dont belong to the church and dont have any say in setting prices.
    ALL babies baptized are presented with one of the quilts also.
    Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM

I understand what your saying, But let me tell you what someone told me when she brought in a quilt to the sewing store I was working at. She needed help getting her machine to sew on this quilt she was making for charity. It was upholstery fabric. She said if they made it fancy the recipients would sell them. This blankets were sent over sea's. I impersonally would not enjoy these charities.
    Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM

Bow out of the quilting - do one at home and donate it. It's been my experience you will never change the one in charge and if you try it will cause hard feelings. No church needs a conflict over quilting or anything else.
    Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM

I have no solution for you. Just a comment, just because it is for charity doesn't mean it has to be made with trash.
    Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 PM

If you are in a tragic situation, civil war in your country, flood water in your town, poverty all your life, hunger killing children - whatever horrible circumstance you are in- do you think you have lost the ability to recognize someone has sent a poorly constructed quilt made of stained, used fabric? You may be glad to have something to use as shade or as a windbreak or even as warmth, but don't you think you would recognize a put together quick, shoddy work as quickly as a person would who wasn't hungry, wet or cold? Maybe that's one reason Americans aren't so popular around the world. We're sometimes sending trash.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-15-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM

I've done the same thing.
    Originally Posted by AUQuilter
    I have volunteered at a charitable quilt event many times and found that the person in charge just wanted to have quantity instead of quality since the quilts are "for charity"- her words. The person in charge actually said to me, "That is just fine- remember these are for charity". I finally stopped going as it would make me "crazy to do less" just because it is for charity. Find another outlet for your charitable spirit.
    Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

I agree...they should not be donating their trash to others...
    Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    It's not just you, Crqltr. I only give usable items to charity, the rest become rags or go into the trash.
    Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Doesn't sound like they'd hold up very well. Just my personal opinion but I feel that just because they're needy doesn't mean you have to send them junk. Imagine being on the receiving end of something like that due to a disaster or unfurtunate circumstances. Kind of looks like the sender(s) don't really care.