Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group >
  • Need advice regarding charity quilting group

• Need advice regarding charity quilting group

Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Do unto others as if you were doing it unto Jesus Christ. I wouldn't want to give Him a bunch of rags sewn together and say it was good enough. Honestly, if this is how they operate, I would not be a part of it. This can be communicated to them without anger, but with sadness that this is acceptable to them.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM

I agree with be a quilter, I would have to bow out gracefully if that is the kind of charity work they are doing. There are lots of organizations where you can make what you want and donate, such as Project Linus and hundreds of others.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 AM
    Power Poster

I totally agree with you! But I would bow out of the group and find another one where I can be proud of what I am doing. Sorry, but that's how I feel.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 AM

I don't know where the quilts will go exactly...but I am aware of a charity that sends quilts to very remote areas and they REQUIRE them to be useful and warm...not pretty. They are in dirt, mud and will not be pretty for long. So, perhaps you could ask who is getting them first and if it is this type of place they donate...then I say it is OK to continue. But if they are going to hospitals, children etc...then yes...prayerfully say something. And from my experience...it hard to change old ladies minds...so you might want to find a different group if your suggestions are not considered.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 AM

I know they ask that quilts for the homeless be "not pretty" but there is a lot of difference between being not pretty & being well made - even the ugliest quilt in the world should be well made with suitable materials. I personally try to do better with my charity work than for myself, just because I am so thankful I have enough to be able to give to others less fortunate.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 AM

A similar situation is happening at the church I attend. They have a few ladies who meet monthly and work on quilts for wounded military. The woman who runs it is a retired school teacher and runs the show like a class room. I have attended three times and realized it was not for me. They cut up old blue jeans and it doesn't matter if there are worn places or not. Her theory is they just need to be warm. One time she had me sewing an upholstery weight velour into pieces. When I asked if the fabric was washable her response was it didn't really matter. They do not use squares or blocks just hunks sewn together to her decided size. They are down to about three ladies and she complains because no one wants to participate.

I belong to a couple of guilds who make charity quilts. They are made of cotton and sometimes they are tied and other times one of the members will machine quilt them. We use the best batting we can afford and have an annual quilt that we receive donations for then a name is chosen from those who donated to be the lucky recipient. The money donated is used for fabric and supplies. We have fabric donated and we go through it and pick out what is suitable for quilts then share the remainder with organizations and individuals who can use it. The quilts are always put together in a manner that is somewhat attractive, matches and made with good thoughts intended to bring care and comfort to the recipient.

I am relatively certain the ones done at the church are either tossed or donated to a dog rescue. That is fine but the group could be grown and made fun by just remembering the recipients are people and deserve a bit of comfort by being wrapped in a quilt made by caring hands.
    Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

This is so hard because ladies can get set in their ways. Know this is a different situation but similar. When we moved I volunteered to help for some church funerals when I wasn't working. So the elder ladies gave me the job of cutting carrots and I couldn't even do that right. Tried to cut them the way they told but unfortunately there were too many chiefs and I couldn't please anyone. So for me I ended up not volunteering, didn't need the stress. So now I do a few things on my own for the church. But this could be a suggestion for you to make a quilt and donate it so you are still part of the group.
    Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM

This is something we need to think about. But what is "fit to use"?? Fabric with holes in is not, in my opinion.

..... But that quilt may be the only piece of evidence that person has, that they have any value left as a human being. You never know when that one tiny scrap of fabric might be the reminder they need to not give up hope, not give up belief in something greater than their seemingly hopeless existence. I say there's nothing wrong with being frugal and thrifty and utilizing any and everything fit to use, b.........
    Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer
    This is something we need to think about. But what is "fit to use"?? Fabric with holes in is not, in my opinion.

..... But that quilt may be the only piece of evidence that person has, that they have any value left as a human being. You never know when that one tiny scrap of fabric might be the reminder they need to not give up hope, not give up belief in something greater than their seemingly hopeless existence. I say there's nothing wrong with being frugal and thrifty and utilizing any and everything fit to use, b.........
    I doubt that if it were possible for this QB member to get the fabric with holes it it discarded and replaced by better fabric, that somewhere a person would not receive a quilt as a direct result of that action. I'm sure that's not what you meant. Deciding to not make a poor quality quilt in favor of a better quality quilt will probably mean someone just receives a better made quilt, don't you think so?

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-16-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer
    A similar situation is happening at the church I attend. They have a few ladies who meet monthly and work on quilts for wounded military. The woman who runs it is a retired school teacher and runs the show like a class room. I have attended three times and realized it was not for me. They cut up old blue jeans and it doesn't matter if there are worn places or not. Her theory is they just need to be warm. One time she had me sewing an upholstery weight velour into pieces. When I asked if the fabric was washable her response was it didn't really matter. They do not use squares or blocks just hunks sewn together to her decided size. They are down to about three ladies and she complains because no one wants to participate.
    Wow, I would hope someone can appeal to her to make quilts that are really, really nice for our servicemen and women. Does she not have any pride as an American? They are being made to show love and respect for wounded soldiers, not to provide something warm for a homeless person.