Need advice....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:24 AM

I'd chalk it up to lessons learned. I too have been in your shoes. We tend to get "materialistic" when it comes to our quilts because we know the time and effort and money that goes into a quilt. Some out there just see them as blankets. I hope you find a solution that sets your mind at ease.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 AM

I asked her if her quilt was still at her sister's house and she said yes, I haven't taken it home. I just dropped the subject, seeing RED. I'm supposed to make her sister one (deal is: graduate or GED and I'll make you a quilt). Her sister got her GED, sent me a picture of it and yesterday when she came here I had her approve the fabric I was going to use. I told her I wouldn't be using all of them but are they ok, is it what she wanted for the colors. She said yes, the greens were great. Now I'm not sure that I want to spend my time and money to make another one that's not appreciated.

Long story short, she gave no excuse but did admit that it was still at her sisters.

Hoffman Challenge Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230951[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230945.jpe  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 AM

I can understand your pain; but does she even remember that she left it at her sister's house and if she did would she have allowed it to stay if she knew it was on the floor. I would be hurt too but make sure that she even knows what is going on with the quilt first; give her the chance to explain. I would have to say something but do it with an open mind.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

This is heartbreaking. But as others have written, chalk it up to experience and lesson learned. Hard as it is for us quilt enthusiasts to believe, there really are a lot of people who see no value in a handcrafted quilt and consider them nothing more than a blanket. A big part of the problem are the el cheapo made in china quilts at the big box stores. People who don't know any better think all quilts have a value of $30 to $50.

For the future, thouroughly vet any future recipients of your quilts to ensure they understand the value, time and effort put into one, truly want one and will use it.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

It is a beautiful gift. My question would be...what do you value more? Your relationship with your step-daughter or your quilt? I know it is hurtful and that it cost you a lot of time and money but sometimes you have to let things go for family harmony. Chalk it up to lesson learned and don't gift her with another quilt. As for making her sister one, if that was the deal, then you have to follow through. You want to be known as a person of integrity even if they aren't. You never know, they may surprise you in a few years and grow into wonderful people. I know I did a lot of stupid, thoughtless things as a young adult.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 AM

I agree.
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
It's hers. She can do whatever she wants with it. Grit your teeth and remember she isn't a quilt person. The next gift you give her should be a gift card to a store she likes.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I can understand your pain. Not all people understand the love you put in a quilt. Maybe when she gets a little older she will appreciate it. I know when I was young I didn't love them like I do now.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 AM

I think a gift given is no longer mine. Sometimes there is more to the story than obvious. I made my son and his bride a quilt when they married. Just a few years later they divorced. One day I saw the quilt bunched up in the backseat of his car. I told him I was hurt and he apologized and told me how he keeps it in his car sometimes if he thinks he may stay at a friends house. He quietly told me that it's a reminder to him of the hopes he had and the family that always stood behind him. A security blanket of sorts. He can do whatever he wants with it, it's his.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Maybe have the sister come over and help you make some of the blocks for her quilt? She might get a new appreciation of how much work goes into them and look at the other quilt with new eyes.