Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need fabric buying help (non quilting related)... >
  • Need fabric buying help (non quilting related)...

• Need fabric buying help (non quilting related)...

Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Dry wall is fairly inexpensive and would be a lot more "insulating" than any fabric you would staple up.
    Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Dry wall is fairly inexpensive and would be a lot more "insulating" than any fabric you would staple up.
    --------------------------------------
    My opinion also. As a sometime wood worker, I'd suggest that you put up the dry wall instead of fabric. Cats can claw holes in it.
    Wind can blow through it. Mice can chew it easily, and normal, healthy kids are not always careful about what they run into.
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Originally Posted by pocoellie
    --------------------------------------
    My opinion also. As a sometime wood worker, I'd suggest that you put up the dry wall instead of fabric. Cats can claw holes in it.
    Wind can blow through it. Mice can chew it easily, and normal, healthy kids are not always careful about what they run into.
    We're not putting it anywhere major, just along the ceiling rafters to keep the insulation where it needs to be b/c I'm not comfortable with it potentially dropping off into the air we breathe. No indoor animals to worry about (and won't ever have any again b/c we don't like the hair and mess from them), and the kids shouldn't be on the ceiling... although some days they do seem to bounce off the walls ;). We're not worried about any insulation value, we're just trying to do it as cheap and quick as possible which right now might be about $50 and a couple hours worth of work between the two of us versus a minimum of $300 worth of the cheapest drywall, plus other supplies needed and the help of our dads and other family members since it's not a job we could physically do ourselves. We don't use credit at all and the funds just aren't there right now so that's just not feasible and won't be until winter is half over so that won't work. We've thought it through and talked it over and even my handy man, jack of all trades dad agrees with our idea at this point.
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM

You may want to consider buying a roll of Tyvek, or similar house wrap, at a home improvement store instead of nylon material. It's the same material FedEx envelopes are made out of and made to be used as an air/vapor barrier in construction. The last roll we got was 9 feet wide and 100 feet long, but it comes in a 3 foot x 65 foot roll for less than $65. Here's a link to it on Home Depot's site, but you can buy it at ANY lumber yard. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

This stuff installs with just a staple gun. (Can you tell we've been doing some major remodeling?)
    Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
    You may want to consider buying a roll of Tyvek, or similar house wrap, at a home improvement store instead of nylon material. It's the same material FedEx envelopes are made out of and made to be used as an air/vapor barrier in construction. The last roll we got was 9 feet wide and 100 feet long, but it comes in a 3 foot x 65 foot roll for less than $65. Here's a link to it on Home Depot's site, but you can buy it at ANY lumber yard. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

This stuff installs with just a staple gun. (Can you tell we've been doing some major remodeling?)
    Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to check into it! My dad is in the remodeling/building process so he might have some left over... if not, I'm sure he can tell me who has the best price on it!
    Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 AM

If Tyvek is too expensive how about using those large plastic sheets sold as painting drop cloths? May in Jersey