Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need Recipe for NO SUGAR Catsup  !!! >
  • Need Recipe for NO SUGAR Catsup !!!

• Need Recipe for NO SUGAR Catsup !!!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 PM

You can use Stevia which is a natural plant sweetner, but will not raise you blood sugar. In some stores it is sold as Truvia. Great for anyone who might be diabetic or need to contain the amount of sugar they eat. This is not an artificial sweetner.
    Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM
    Power Poster

Use Agava Nectar instead of sugar. It's great for diabetics. It doesn't raise the blood sugar level. I use it for most all my sugar use except in baking. Great on cereal, toast, fruit, to sweeten drinks, etc. Use to be only one company made it and now all the sweetner brands have it. Much more expensive now then when it was seldom heard of or looked at like What? Yuk! The light color tastes like a very mild sweet honey, the darker has more of the honey flavor.
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Thank you great sites !!
    Originally Posted by JulieR
    You're going to need this -
    http://genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

And this -
    http://lowcarbfriends.com/

:)
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Thank you , have to check if I have to count any net carbs for it though !!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Use Agava Nectar instead of sugar. It's great for diabetics. It doesn't raise the blood sugar level. I use it for most all my sugar use except in baking. Great on cereal, toast, fruit, to sweeten drinks, etc. Use to be only one company made it and now all the sweetner brands have it. Much more expensive now then when it was seldom heard of or looked at like What? Yuk! The light color tastes like a very mild sweet honey, the darker has more of the honey flavor.
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Thank you but it does count a 1 net carb per pkt. !! Yikes I use to use 5 in my cup of Pero am and pm and in my decaf ice tea all day !! Yikes again ! only allowed 20 net carbs a day for phase 1 of Atkins and 12-15 are to be from list of vegetables in the Induction phase !!!! so......
    Originally Posted by Murphy
    You can use Stevia which is a natural plant sweetner, but will not raise you blood sugar. In some stores it is sold as Truvia. Great for anyone who might be diabetic or need to contain the amount of sugar they eat. This is not an artificial sweetner.
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Thank you !!
    Originally Posted by amma
    Another thought is to thin it down with water, beef up the seasonings. You would only have 1/2 the carbs if you used tomato sauce and thinned that down :D:D:D

I think you can also buy onion and garlic juice is tiny bottles to use instead of the powder :wink:
    Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 AM

Folks,,, I have used liquid sucralose for several years now.. and it has come down in price ..big time.. here is a link to ebay where i got my last...Remember this looks costly.. but it is used by the drop..1/4 tsp is.. 1 cup and has no.... carbs at all.
    I think 2 drops is one little pkg..... .I live low carb.. and help run ... [email protected]
    We are always sharing good recipes.. is is a very low action group...so one is not bomb barded with emails..
    I do have a recipe for the low carb catsup.I love. and have used for a long time now.. and it is very easy, but i must get on my flash drive and fine it.. as I am on vacation and not at my Reg Desk top ..so give me a few.. and i also need to know where to post it.. as this is my first post..

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Liq....c0.m270.l1313
    Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 AM

this is the one I have made and used for several years now..

Easy Low Carb Ketchup
    13 cups tomato sauce, #10 pound can

1 cup Splenda.I get this all mixed up and taste.. I like a bit more sweetner..so I add to taste..

2/3 cup vinegar

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon allspice

1 tablespoon kosher salt

Bottled lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together in pot. Heat over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and pour into pint jars.
    Process for 20 minutes in pressure canner,
    30 minutes for quarts.
    (Quart jar will fill 32-ounce ketchup bottle.)
    OR...
    If you add 1 tablespoon lemon juice per pint
    (2 tablespoons per quart), you can BWB. boiling water bath

Note: When you open a jar, pour into ketchup dispenser and store in refrigerator for a few hours before using. It helps to thicken the sauce.
    This must be refrigerated once opened because Splenda does not preserve foods like sugar does. If you want to use sugar, use the amount stated or add more based on your families taste.
    I prefer pressure canning, it gives the sauce a more carmelized taste.
    Sheila (Virginia)..
    Thanks Sheila.. this is a good one..
    Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'm glad you are able to use this! Unfortunately it acts exactly the same as any other type of sugar in my body and I cannot use it without a giant spike in blood glucose. I know from various message boards that I am not the only one.

Just goes to show, all of us diabetics need to test and eat to our meters - everyone is different and you might get lucky sometimes :)
    Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 AM

Found this on allrecipes.com:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fresh-O...up/Detail.aspx

it uses apple juice for sweetener.