Need Suggestions

Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Well, there is always something. I have had several quilts LAQ by different people. someone will refer someone or I need it in a hurry and pay more for someone to squeeze it in. Everytime I have had a problem and I too don't like confrontation. So first quilt for my first grandson was pieced and applique he kept trying to get me to put all these different animals quilted on the quilt - it was sailboats and ducks - I said no thank you just all overquilting going around the ducks. Got the quilt and ripped out the bottom of the quilt he quilted skyscrapers across the bottom 4 inches ! I didn't leave quilt two. Then I thought I will sort of interview LAQ to get a feel for what they do and what I like and ask to see some of their work - well I totally offended one lady and I didn't even know it until I went back for my quilt then she told me that her husband was listening and he didn't like me asking all the questions. It is pricey to have LAQ done and we put alot of $$ and love into our quilt tops I don't see anything wrong with asking a few questions. I keep seeing all the positive remarks about LAQ on this board I think I may have to send them out of state. I was only trying to keep local people with income. I will have several (4)to quilt by fall and wonder what I will do. Am I being unreasonable; please pm me.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Its sad to hear that you have been disappointed twice with the outcome of a quilt sent to a LA quilter. Communication is most important between customers and LA quilters. There is a standard way in which quilts are loaded onto a LA machine but special requests can be taken into account most of the time. The way quilt backs are attached to the LA makes it problematic to center accurately. You didn't say if you asked her to center it but typically you would have a smaller extension of the back where it attaches to the take-up bar and a longer extension at the bottom edge of the quilt. Side to side should be pretty well centered. Some LA quilters charge extra to center as it takes extra time and effort but it can be done fairly well. As to the double batting, she should have called you if she felt she wasn't able to do the double layer. I have done double high-loft batting and its not the easiest but it was what the customer wanted and she liked it. If you make a special request it should be noted on the quilt form so that if the LA quilter doesn't get to your quilt immediately she can look at the form to remember to make the requested adjustments. Should you give her a third chance, only you can make that decision.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
Its sad to hear that you have been disappointed twice with the outcome of a quilt sent to a LA quilter. Communication is most important between customers and LA quilters. There is a standard way in which quilts are loaded onto a LA machine but special requests can be taken into account most of the time. The way quilt backs are attached to the LA makes it problematic to center accurately. You didn't say if you asked her to center it but typically you would have a smaller extension of the back where it attaches to the take-up bar and a longer extension at the bottom edge of the quilt. Side to side should be pretty well centered. Some LA quilters charge extra to center as it takes extra time and effort but it can be done fairly well. As to the double batting, she should have called you if she felt she wasn't able to do the double layer. I have done double high-loft batting and its not the easiest but it was what the customer wanted and she liked it. If you make a special request it should be noted on the quilt form so that if the LA quilter doesn't get to your quilt immediately she can look at the form to remember to make the requested adjustments. Should you give her a third chance, only you can make that decision.
Thank you for the input.... I am not sure why I am so upset by this. When I wrestle mine in my DSM I make A LOT of mistakes for sure!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Thank you for the input.... I am not sure why I am so upset by this. When I wrestle mine in my DSM I make A LOT of mistakes for sure!!

when you wrestle it through you DSM you aren't paying extra either.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Thank you for the input.... I am not sure why I am so upset by this. When I wrestle mine in my DSM I make A LOT of mistakes for sure!![/quote]

I didn't mean for you to feel guilty about being upset, you have every right to feel that way. I was only trying to explain how the LAquilters mistake might have occurred. It seems she was in error for not communicating with you. Hope it all works out and you aren't too reluctant to try using a LAquilter again--just maybe not the one you used.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Well... Sucked it up and called her. :( Not really happy with the response. She offered to quilt "another" for free. And when I said NO, I would like the credit, she asked what I wanted, and I told her "whatever is fair". Her response... half off. I guess thats fair... But now she is struggling with how to get the credit back on the BF's CC. ARGH. :( I NEED A GLASS OF WINE LADIES.

It means so much to me to have this Board to be able to talk about these things and have people understand! Thank you! I feel better after being able to talk about it...
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
I didn't mean for you to feel guilty about being upset, you have every right to feel that way. I was only trying to explain how the LAquilters mistake might have occurred. It seems she was in error for not communicating with you. Hope it all works out and you aren't too reluctant to try using a LAquilter again--just maybe not the one you used.[/quote]

Oh, I know! :) I wish tone and facial could come across these messages. I really was thanking you... and all your points are very helpful! :) Oh, I will be using LA'ers... just not her. :)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm sorry this happened to you, not once but TWICE! She doesn't sound very professional at all. I would wonder how long she has been in business (and how long she can STAY in business at this rate! LOL), and whether it really is a business or more of a hobby for her.

Please do not feel that all LAers are like this. There are plenty of us that take our profession seriously, and if we make a mistake (and all of us will from time to time) we do what it takes to make it right with the customer.

Keep looking until you find someone that is a good fit for you.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 AM

i know, i dislike confrontation, too. but sometimes it eats you up if you dont get out whats on your mind. sorry this happened.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 AM

It's no wonder charisma stays so busy. So sorry you are having to go through this. I hope things get better for you.