Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need your recommendation on best Serger >
  • Need your recommendation on best Serger

• Need your recommendation on best Serger

Old 05-27-2017, 03:12 AM

I have a Baby Lock Evolution and love it. This is my third serger over the past 15 + years and I love it the best. The air-threading saves you a lot of frustration and time. I have a home business and use it constantly with never a problem yet. Dealer support is important, in case you need it.
    Old 05-27-2017, 03:36 AM

Hands down, the best serger is the Babylock Ovation.......love it.
    Old 05-27-2017, 03:41 AM

I think that is smart retirement planning!

Another BL Ovation serger here that I love. It features lots of options and you can do decorative stitches too. There was a 3 day class offered to learn different techniques for the serger. Love the wave stitch and using threads to make special finishing touches on projects.

The Evolution is a nice one also. Good luck choosing your serger!
    Old 05-27-2017, 04:03 AM

My serger of 28 years started giving me problems last week.we only have one sewing machine dealer here that services them.He charges $75.00 just to check it out (wow).It is a machine I use a lot - and living on a limited budget,I went to Walmart and bought the Brother serger they carry.Absolutely love it.I wasted 3 days trying to figure out what went wrong with my other one.3 days I could have spent sewing!
    Old 05-27-2017, 05:39 AM

My serger, too, is almost 30 years old. I love it, but sometimes it jumps, makes a clicking noise, and the right needle thread is caught in the seam where it is not supposed to be. This happens most on thick seams. I guess it is out of time, and my fix-it guy can't seem to get it right. I don't know if I would get rid of this one, but I would like one that does the cover stitch.

A lot of people have two sergers, one with light thread and one with dark.
    Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 AM

so many people buy sergers and dont use them, so they resell them. Many you can pick up for a song. I believe in mechanical simplicity. ie keep it simple. The more gagets on one machine...the more there is to go wrong...and they do. I have a, now old (30 yr), elna, still works fine, bought one for $99 for my daughter works fine. I wanted the coverstitch.....bought a coverstitch machine. Dont rush out and buy what you don't need, unless its a GREAT deal and you have a future plan for it. But it is never too early to get educated about the products, and listen to users......you are on the right track....best of luck.
    Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 PM

I bought a Baby Loc air threader serger 24 years ago and I have used constantly. I've made all my 5 grandkids clothes over the years, plus lots of my own and about 200 pillowcases. (I made them for donation as well as gifts). It has been one of my best investments. Not to mention a millon little projects. I highly recommend this one.
    Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM

I have a Husqvarna Huskylock 910, I really like it.
    Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 AM

I just purchased an Elna 664 a few months ago. It was $500 on sale. I liked that it wasn't as loud as others in my price range. It also has color coded thread paths and a setting reminder on the machine for the different stitches. I have rethreaded it 4 or 5 times to make certain that I could (once before I purchased it). For me, that has not been a big deal at all.

I haven't used it a lot, but like what I have done. In addition to writing down my settings, I keep a sample.
    Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 PM

I have a Bernina serger that has about 3 hours use on it. I just struggle with the threading because of cataracts. I saw a babylock serger being demoed in a quilt store and bought it in 10 minutes. I love it. I have sewn quilts, bound quilts, made pillow cases and I can change the thread in a heart beat because it is air threaded. I love it.