Neighbor with beehive?!!?!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I would rather have bees than all of the wasps around here... I just keep spraying one nest after another and can't seem to find them fast enough.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about walking over there and just ask?
There is a language barrier. They do not speak English. Otherwise I would.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about walking over there and just ask?
There is a language barrier. They do not speak English. Otherwise I would.
Oh - it is always good to know "the rest of the story"

Anyone around that can translate for the two of you?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

I agree with others - ASK your neighbor before calling the county. Can you get a translator?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 AM

OMG! is that a BBQ right under the window? I think that there must be a law about how far you must have a BBQ from a window. Better check on that while you are at the county office!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM

I'm curious - why is everyone so against me calling the county? They have translators on staff who could inform the neighbors that they cannot have a beehive in this location. Isn't that the job of code enforcement? Or whatever department this falls under?

Finding a translator on my own would be difficult, I don't know anyone who speaks their language. I don't even know what language it is!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM

My husband and I build bee boxes and they could be bee boxes. You never know. Maybe they build and sell boxes!!!! Better check.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm curious - why is everyone so against me calling the county? They have translators on staff who could inform the neighbors that they cannot have a beehive in this location. Isn't that the job of code enforcement? Or whatever department this falls under?

Finding a translator on my own would be difficult, I don't know anyone who speaks their language. I don't even know what language it is!
Those boxes don't look like beehives, to me they look like painted wood planks stacked up for shelves.
Calling the county to lodge a complaint may have reprocussions on you as the neighbors would probably know who called.
I guess many feel perhaps it is best to solve problems on your own before calling someone who will perhaps make the end result a nasty situation to live with.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Its just considered more neighborly to ask someone to stop doing something that could be a problem before calling the authorities. They might feel attacked if someone from teh county shows up.

I know that recently one of my neighbors who I don't know too well let me know in a nice way that my dog was barking at their dog while they were outside playing ball. The way our houses are situated I didn't hear my dog barking when I saw him back there, so I didn't realize he was making noise. I know I really appreciated him telling me and letting me fix the situation (we blocked off that part of the yard so he couldn't stand at the fence and ensured they have our phone number so they could call if that didn't work) before calling animal control with a complaint.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mochasue
OMG! is that a BBQ right under the window? I think that there must be a law about how far you must have a BBQ from a window. Better check on that while you are at the county office!
I keep my gas grill up against the house when it is not being used. Personally I love having bee's. We used to have 5 hives and never had a problem with them. They were so gentle, I never even wore protective clothing when opening the hive. Never got stung either.