Neighbor with beehive?!!?!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about walking over there and just ask?
I agree. You don't want to call the county first and create hard feelings with someone who lives right next door.

Maybe they're just storage boxes of some kind.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM

I'll trade your beehives for my neighbor's stallion that keeps getting loose and tearing my fence up and wrecking my gate!
Sorry, not trying to make light of what might be a precarious situation for your hubby. Our old neighbor had several hives, and we never had a problem, though no one in the family is allergic either. I personally would so much rather have the bees back, and the stallion and his idiot owner could just "BE GONE"!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Okay you guys have convinced me. I'll keep an eye on the boxes and see what happens. The more I think about it, the more I think they can't POSSIBLY be getting bees - these neighbors have small children. Their lot is only about 6000 sf, so there's barely any room for the kids to play. I can't imagine the parents would want them to share with bees.

My teenage son just told me he has a friend who MIGHT know this language (it sounds eastern European or Russian) and so I'll ask his friend to come over and ask about the boxes.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
are you the same neighbor that turned us in for growing vegetables in our front yard? ;-)
No, but I might swipe a tomato or two while you're not looking. :) lol
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM

My husband and I collect bees for people who do not want them on their property. Some are very nice bees and we can work them into boxes without protective clothing (veils, gloves, etc.) and others are very "active" and require protective clothing to get close to. (african bees) I have known people to keep bees in their very small yards and the neighbors didn't even know they were there.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MrsGuava
Is that a dog, laying in the doorway?
No dog. They had 2 cats, outdoors only. One of them has disappeared. Last year I caught their little girl picking up the cat poop from their litter box and throwing it over the fence into our yard. Now I know why my dog kept getting sick. I asked her to stop throwing the cat poop and to go inside and wash her hands. I have no idea if she understood me - she just stood there and stared at me. I said honey, you have poop on your hands, go wash them! She just stared at me, then she covered her face with her hands! Ugh. There was no parent in sight. Finally an older girl came outside, and I told her what had happened, and could she please take the little girl inside and wash her hands and face. The older girl said "okay" but didn't take her inside. I have no idea if she even understood me.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Hi---
These are standard honeybee hives you can get from any beekeeping supply and around since the mid 1800's. These bees are very gentle unlike wasps, hornets, and such. I hope you can find a solution with your neighbor and you might want to google more on honeybees and beekeeping as it really is fascinating.
Good Luck and Regards
Jon
Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Hi---
These are standard honeybee hives you can get from any beekeeping supply and around since the mid 1800's. These bees are very gentle unlike wasps, hornets, and such. I hope you can find a solution with your neighbor and you might want to google more on honeybees and beekeeping as it really is fascinating.
Good Luck and Regards
Jon
I don't have any problem with bees. However, my husband is extremely allergic; the doctor said he'd never seen a reaction so bad and the next sting would probably kill him. We have medication for that if it happens, but I know I'd rather not take the chance. The bees may be gentle, but my husband is irreplaceable and bees will protect their hive. Those boxes are 5 feet from the fence, and we still need to mow and use the weedeater - not to mention using the pool. My husband will never step foot in our back yard again, and eventually selling this house with a beehive in full view will be difficult.

I simply think there are more appropriate locations for a beehive.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi---
Agreed, if deathly allergic they should be moved.
Jon
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I live in a very small town and the hives would not be against the codes here, but every area is different. We have bees and wasps all over the place. Your DH would not go outside here without the medicine readily available to him. It is just the way it is.