Nerves

Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 AM

So am I the only one who struggles with extreme bouts of nervousness?

Maybe I should explain. I'm a homeschooler. Or I was. I loved it, and can honestly say it's only downside is that I get nervous about lots of things. Social things.

But mostly stupid things.

For instance, my MIL is about to come over and sew with me for the first time. I've never really pieced a quilt and I've never sewn with her. I'm bad at doing things the first time. I get all nervous. My stomach usually feels like it's devouring itself.

And the funny thing is, I know it's silly! I love my MIL to death, she's amazing! I get this way about stupid stuff...like calling to say I can't make it to a bridal shower. Or going to a different bank than I usually go to.

*sigh*

Anyway, just needed to vent a little. Anyone else socially challenged here?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 AM

I went thru a spell of nerves after I'd spent 6 yrs at home raising children and had to go back out there and get a job. You need to remember one thing: NO ONE is good at most anything the first time. EVERYTHING takes practice. This includes piecing a quilt, baking a cake, going on dates, going to dinner parties (socializing - the worst thing for me!). Relax, do breathing exercises and decide you MIL is NOT there to criticize you but to have a good time! I'd give anything if MY DIL would invite me over to learn to sew!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:02 AM

maybe it would help for you to tell your MIL that you are nervous, lots of people get anxious over first time stuff. as as far as declining an invite, I understand, you don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but just do it with kindness and they should understand. Hugs Lace
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM

I'm the same way ... every little thing out of the ordinary sets me off. I don't know why. A couple years ago just before I retired from my job I went to the Dr. because I was starting to have physical sypmtoms of stress and nervousness....didn't know that's what it was at the time. She put me on a very low dose of anti-anxiety medication and that has helped some. But I still get nervous and anxious about really stupid things.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM

I have also had trouble with my nerves in the past. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression. I am on medications for it. In the past my nerves have gotten so bad, I could hardly stand it. Whenever I would make a decision to go on a trip or buy something for example, I would get into a panic mode and I would be a basket case. It was awful. My only relief was when I slept. The minute I would wake up I would be absolutely petrified. It was hell. I thank God every day for the meds that keep me well.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Take a deep breath and now exhale!!!!! :lol: :lol: Remember you're suppose to be having fun!!! If its not fun then its work!! :-D
Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 AM

I have found that I get nervous when I am going to do something I don't really want to do. Not important things but like I was talked into going out to lunch with a friend when I didn't want to. So that morning I called and backed out when I knew she wasn't home and it went to her answer machine. I definitely don't like being pushed into things.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Awww, thank you, ladies, for your encouragement and for sharing your own stories of nervousness and anxiety!

My MIL just left and we had a blast. I figured if I could get past the nerves, I'd be fine - and it was. :) We put together several practice blocks and I got half way through piecing a small rail fence lap quilt. I learned a lot, had a good time, and it felt good to be able to sew with someone else.

Much love to you all for your encouragement. :)
Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Yep, that is why I am medicated. I love the planning and the scheduling and talking about it on the phone but when it comes to getting in the car to go, my head is full of excuses not to go or not to have someone come over. I cannot tell you how many times I have canceled things at the last minute because of anxiety AND I don't even miss it! I have finally learned to tell people when I meet them that I am that way and not to take it personally. Some understand, some don't. Oh well, I do much better on line than in person.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Don't feel alone. I get anxiety when I do a group quilting project...I am alot slower than others, so it really eats at me.