• New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua

• New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua

Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
    Power Poster

Julio is darling!
    Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Where's the rest of him?
    Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM

I have lots of experience. Keep him confined and using papers but take him out when you can. Never scold him when he is a baby. If he is not eating enough, which can happen, let him lick Puppy Nutrical off of your finger. He needs to eat about 4 times a day. this is a good time of year for a puppy because good weather is here. Mine are always born in Nov and I have to go all through the winter with potty problems. They don't like cold weather. Treat him like a dog, you are the boss, or he will be barky, snappy and scared/mean. Take him to obedience class at Petsmart when he is about 6-8 months old. Enjoy, because Chihuahuas are the best! I hope you don't have a small child.

at about 5 lbs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]169564[/ATTACH]

Annie at 1 lb when I got her
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]169565[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-169559.jpe   attachment-169560.jpe  
    Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 PM

awwwww........he' so adorable!!! :D I would put a collar with a jingle bell on it around his little neck so I would know exactly where he is! I'd surely step on him if I couldn't hear him. :roll:
    Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM

I have four of these babies, of course mine are not babies anymore. My youngest is 4 years old. You will want to train them like any other breed and I too believe in crate training.

If I were to offer any advice it would be to socialize your puppy at every oppertunity. Chihuahuas will become a yippy little ankle biter if you don't make them aware that everyone one that comes into the house is welcome. Everytime you have a visitor encourage them to hold and play with him. Take him out and let people hold him.

And with this, be careful. People like cute small dogs make sure if you do allow a stranger to cuddle you have a lease and collar in place so you can control the situation by maintaining control of the lease.

If you have any questions just send me a note, I'd be happy to help. Have fund and enjoy your new little house mate.

Mona
    Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Oh my..too cute. We had one when I was a kid. He was beige and white. My Dad brought him in the house in his shirt pocket. Loved my youngest sister and when she was asleep, NO one could go near her bed. Parents both had nip marks from trying to cover her up. We had him for 19 years. Little sister use to dress Tiny in doll clothes and roll him around in doll stroller. Enjoy!
    Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM

I have a small chihuahua. The vet said that in small breed chihuahua's they usually check for soft spots on the head and luxating patellas. My dog was inbred too much and has a liver shunt. We found this out after she started losing weight. But, she still lives a normal life-she just has a low protein diet. He's a cutie. My chihuahua, Penny, likes to play fetch. She carries the large tennis balls by the fuzz. But, we usually buy her the small ones. She is in my avatar picture-3 lbs.
    Old 03-13-2011, 08:37 PM

OMG, never saw a guy that tiny. I'd be afraid I'd set on him.
    Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM

He is so adorable! I have a chihuahua, Foxy, who is 9 years old and unfortunately fighting the battle of the bulge - he now weighs 8 lbs! He was always around 5 until a year or so ago. Now have him on special diet! And yes, chihuahuas can be nippy - Foxy still doesn't like my husband after 7 years but is not as agressive as he used to be. I think he is mellowing after all these years.

Enjoy him and love him. They are just like children and need positive feelings.
    Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Lots of places have puppy "kindergarten" classes where puppies of all breeds and sizes can learn basic manners and learn to socialize with each other and other people. That's a great start along with crate training. There is a place near my small town that actually has different levels of classes including intermediate and advanced levels in case someone is interested in training their dog to be a therapy dog. Even if you didn't get that advanced, those classes are so much fun! I did that with our Maltese (small breed) and it was amazing what our dog learned! (And me too!) ;-)