New Driving Law -

Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM

My honey drives a State truck to get to different sites; the new truck has the yellow lights. Fortunately, its rare for him to have to stop on a highway; all of his work is at different sites where he can park safely. But, he's told me some stories about what he sees on the road! Maybe people would take more care if THEY had to walk the road, huh?!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Law or not, I think its a simple courtesy to give as much room as possible to cars, emergency vehicles, tow trucks, work trucks, etc., that are in the breakdown lane. It is scary enough being out on a road w/ vehicles moving between 50 and 70 mph, never mind them doing it less than five feet away from you. I was taught this in Drivers' Ed, long before there was a law. We recently had a state trooper killed here during a traffic stop by another driver who could have changed lanes and didn't. This was the only thing the offending driver could be ticketed for. There's not a lot of effort involved --- just move over and given them some room.

I will get down off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 AM

just saw this new law on a billboard on the highway!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
My honey drives a State truck to get to different sites; the new truck has the yellow lights. Fortunately, its rare for him to have to stop on a highway; all of his work is at different sites where he can park safely. But, he's told me some stories about what he sees on the road! Maybe people would take more care if THEY had to walk the road, huh?!
i'm in road construction too and the things i've seen! i started out flagging traffic 13 years ago and there were many time's i've jumped for or over the ditch. people just don't pay attention or they're so busy looking at something else. nowdays all i see is cellphones. everybody's got a cellphone to their ear. and i think they don't really realize they are driving oddly. i've seen so many near misses and quite a few wrecks. our company now has a "no strikes" policy. if your caught on your cellphone, even handsfree or bluetooth, its automatic dismissel. doesn't matter whether its on the jobsite or not.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Yep, I knew about that law. It was all over the news here a couple of years ago. A police officer got hit while at the driver's side window writing a ticket. The person driving the car didn't see the officer because she was texting.