Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • A new feature I'm considering >
  • A new feature I'm considering

• A new feature I'm considering

Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM

ok now I am confused! if it gets going then I will understand
    Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM

that sounds awesome!! you are so good at doing this stuff and keeping us organized!!
    Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

It sounds good to me, I would be interested in seeing it implimented,

Would you be able to put it in more than one virtual topic? kind of like cross referencing it?
    Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM

A thread could wind up in several different virtual sections, right? And a limited number of people would be responsible for reading every thread to see if it should be assigned to the section for which they are responsible? Would there be a time limit for the assignation? Just trying to raise 'process' questions that may have an impact. :oops:
    Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
    Administrator

Well, I guess it would be OK for one topic to be assigned to multiple sections.

I don't think there would be a need for anyone to review every thread. My guess is most of the threads won't be assigned to any virtual section.

It's not a cataloging system. So there is no need to every single thread to be assigned. More like a way to tie multiple threads into a single logical collection.

I'm not sure how it will work out. That's the reason I started this discussion.

I have some ideas about how it should work. But that doesn't mean that users will actually use it the way it's intended.

It might work even for "temporary" or time-sensitive topics. Let's say there is some event that generates a lot of interest among users.

Maybe some super-giant quilt-related trade show.

Lots of people would make new threads about it. Questions before it begins, pictures after it ends, and some other stuff in between.

Grouping all those threads into one virtual section dedicated to that even would be a good way to preserve it and let anyone interested in that even quickly find all threads about it.

All those threads would still be accessible from the "real" sections such as Main and Pictures.

There would simply be another way to find them.

I don't think search would work as well for that purpose.

As I said, that's just one example I can think of on top of what I already described. Who knows how this system will be used.
    Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM

My first thought is...is this really needed? We have search and bookmarking... doesn't that cover it well enough?
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

I already have trouble trying to navigate all the new sections on the board. I love how the board is now, but this would be way too much added confusion for me to understand, for sure. Admin, maybe you just need a new hairdo??? :) :) :) That's what my daughter does when she's bored :) :) :)

But then, there's already a lot of features and sections that i don't use, but others do use them. So if this isn't something that i would have to use, or figure out, then i guess what's the harm? But for me, more is not better, just confusing :)
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 PM

The new feature is virtually clear, but in concrete terms I find myself struggling with specifics. That's okay, I learn best by seeing it.

My question is whether things will be filed into these virtual sections as they are assigned in chronological order. If so, will the most recent additions be on top? I see a section being created, new threads being assigned to it, and disappearing to the back of the line. Will they be dated?

I know this isn't a search, but in a way I'm making the comparison because this is something I don't like about searching. I know the results come back in order of best match, but sometimes I'm looking for a specific post and there is no date delineation to the items, so I then physically "search" in and out of posts looking for the recent specific one.
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM

As with everything, it will only be as good as its input. No matter how many suggests are made about good thread titles, people will title pictures of their "New Longarm Machine XYZ" as "See My New Baby" in both the real section and the virtual section.
    Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm still getting used to the "new" board and what has been done so far such as the swap thingy (big technical term there).
    Not sure about this virtual thing. Maybe my brain isn't understanding it, which is possible. I'm not too smart at times. Actually have baby brain at the moment.

Admin, you could try it to see how it goes and then if it doesn't work well, get rid of it....I dunno.
    Just seems like more work for yourself