Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • A new feature I'm considering >
  • A new feature I'm considering

• A new feature I'm considering

Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 AM

I thought it would be user specific, but sounds like they'll be there for all to see? Sounds good in theory, think it'll get overwhelming in reality.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Admin, so far all the changes to the board have been great! You do a good job of keeping the board up to date with new innovations and ways to use the info posted here. Although I don't thoroughly understand the new system you are suggesting, I think it is worth a try. (I learn best by seeing/doing. So I will pick it up slowly.)

Thanks for all you are doing. :thumbup:
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 AM
    Administrator

The use of any or all of those options is just that, optional. Will this new feature follow suit and allow us to 'opt out' of using it? Please?
    Yes, of course it's going to be optional. It's up to each individual user to decide which features they want to use.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    I thought it would be user specific, but sounds like they'll be there for all to see? Sounds good in theory, think it'll get overwhelming in reality.
    Hmm. That's a good point. To tell you the truth, I didn't even think about noting it.

It won't be specific to each user. Not like recent topics and watched topics.

It will be like the current sections (Main, Pictures, etc.) which are visible and the same for everyone.

But if a group of people decides they would like to "establish" a common "place" for some specific interest they all share, they would be able to use a virtual section for that.

Other users would be able to see all new virtual sections and make their own decision about checking them out or continuing to go through the "real" sections. All threads will be visible both ways.
    Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 AM

changed my mind
    Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM

Sounds complicated but I'm sure we can all learn how to navigate any new additions:D
    Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 AM

I think that would be a great idea! I would welcome the chance to check out other people's wisdom on a specific topic1 So many clever people out there!
    Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

So will there be a clickable heading at the top of the page - Virtual Section or something like that - go there and there's a list of topics eg Paper Piecing, Electric Quilt etc which contain all relevant threadswhich have been put there by their creator (which also appear in Main but have been regrouped)? Am I getting it?
    Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
    Administrator

k3n, yes. There will be a listing of all virtual sections. I'm not sure yet about the specifics. Probably something on the home page. And maybe on each thread's page there will be a listing of all virtual sections to which the thread belongs.
    Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Admin
    k3n, yes. There will be a listing of all virtual sections. I'm not sure yet about the specifics. Probably something on the home page. And maybe on each thread's page there will be a listing of all virtual sections to which the thread belongs.
    Excellent! The cross reference thingy would be great if you could do it! SO if i see a thread about say, a Bargello and want to make one, IF that person had put their thread in a Bargello virtual section, I could click a link taking me over there and find all threads discussing Bargello.

I can see that like Esqmommy said that it could get unwieldy over time though. Would you set a limit on number of topics? Is there a limit on how much space the board can take up?