New kitty

Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 PM

What a darlin little kitty. Love her new name. and it's terrific that your dogs have taken to her. Hope your DH comes around. Enjoy.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Oh how adorable!! Congratulations on your beautiful new family member. Tiger Lily is a cute name for her. How sweet that one of your dogs has taken to mothering her, just gotta’ love it. What a little love bug. Thanks for sharing her picture.

Sorry I don’t have any advice about the litter it’s been a little over 4 years since we had a cat but I haven’t heard of flushable litter. I have heard of the litter boxes that I think separate the litter, kind of self cleaning but don’t know anything about how they work or if they work well.
I thought about those self cleaning ones. But I'd want to be sure someone gave it a thumbs up before I bought it. DH isn't crazy about the idea of a cat in the house. So until he caves in, I'll keep my spending to a minimum. We have all kinds of things for the dogs, so he knows I'll buy for the cat too.
Until DH caves let him hold her for a while too, that should help :-P I read that it’s about $1200 a year to keep a cat I'm not sure how accurate that number is but includes food, vet care & toys.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:26 AM

Good for you to save the kitten!!!!

As our home adopted a 3 week old feral kitten last fall, I have two tips that were not mentioned.

1. Declawing. I had always believed in it until I adopted a cat from a no-kill shelter who made me sign a form saying I would not de-claw her. What I was told that if you had proper scratching equipment, they will not scatch on your furniture. I have found this to be true. I buy the flat cardboard things that are sold wherever pet supplies are sold. I just replace it every now and then. I also sometimes trim my cats nails.

I don't believe in it anymore since the above does work.

2. Letting your kitten outside. There are lots of risks to letting your cat go outside. Once you start letting them go out, they want out all of the time. If you never let me out, they will not know the difference. You risk losing them when you let them out.

And I absolutely agree about taking them in the car.

Hope this helps you and others.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 AM

Here is the kitten my daughter found last October at college that we took in. He was as sweet as can be. He is now a teenager and very playful and nocturnal!

His name is Levi
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184986[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184980.jpe  
Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Lyn

In the feline rescue we use SWHEAT litter for someone this small because the clumping litter can stick to their personals and then they can't go to the bathroom. She is a cutie.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 AM

petco and I'm sure other stores do have kitten milk that is safe to give kittys. Be sure to take her to the vet for all her shots. Thank you for saving that sweet kitty
Old 04-16-2011, 04:20 AM

Oh she is a keeper. Just so beautiful and will give you nothing but love and fun. There is cat liter that is corn fibers "Arm & Hammer Essentials" My cats love it and clumps great for cleaning. The only draw back is the litter tracks easily out of the box so be sure you have a tray to collect it. Have you named her yet?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 AM

Most kitty moms use the "scoopable" litter, and just scoop and put into a bag, and into the outside trash it goes. I use an unscented litter because kitties don't care for strong scents, especially kittens.

Very important to take her to the vet very soon for a checkup and make sure she is healthy and get an appt. for spaying and the vet will fill you in on the rest.

I feed mine good natural food from the pet store, about 3 tbsp. of wet food in the a.m., and always have dry food out for her 24/7. Milk is not good for their urinary tract.

Please don't declaw the kitty ... it's like cutting your fingers off at the first knuckle! No way. Simply keep her nails clipped before the red/blood vessel line.

Blessings to you for keeping her !
Old 04-16-2011, 05:14 AM

what a beautiful baby you have. I have 7 and my recommendation would be lots of toys,and more toys to keep her occupied, a good scratching post, or emery board type scratcher for the nails, maybe even a collar with a small bell so that you know where she is when she starts to become really curious and you will find her in places you won't even think about. They love to explore everything. You will have to make her her own little quilt to sleep on. Thank you for rescuing her.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 AM

Try this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p943wK0tSWQ&NR=1

I am going to try and get my two old cats to do this