New kitty

Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM

a little beauty of a kitten.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:44 AM

What a precious little kitten - so lucky "she found you!" She will have a wonderful home with you -
Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klgreene
I thought about those self cleaning ones. But I'd want to be sure someone gave it a thumbs up before I bought it. DH isn't crazy about the idea of a cat in the house. So until he caves in, I'll keep my spending to a minimum. We have all kinds of things for the dogs, so he knows I'll buy for the cat too.
The Littermaid self cleaning boxes are very particular about what type of litter to use. Some people love them others found them more trouble than they are worth.

There is a much more inexpensive alternative that I highly recommend. It makes daily cleaning easy and quick. The Lift 'n Sift litter pan. Here is a link
http://www.petco.com/product/103817/Lift-n'-Sift-Cat-Litter-Pan.aspx?cm_mmc=GooglePKW-_-22-Lift%20n'%20Sift%20Cat%20Litter%20(614947)-_-"lift+n'+sift"-_-xxx&gclid=CJ36qeOnoagCFYi8KgodTTU0Hw

Definitely get her to the vet and get her checked out and I agree NO DECLAW it is inhumane and cruel. In many countries it has been outlawed so that gives you some indication. Do not let your vet talk you into it. They are just going for the extra $$ when they recommend declawing. Have an adequate scratching post available and you will never have a problem with inappropriate sharpening of claws. Most cat posts sold at places like petco etc are not suitable, they are too short and too unstable. Here is a link to a great source. http://www.pussycatfurniture.com/

They have them ranging in price from $32 to several hundred :shock: But the investment is well worth it. I have a big 6 ft tree in my house and my cats all love it and use it regularly. I have the kind where the posts are sisel wrapped. I do occasionally get the inappropriate clawing on an ottoman in my living room but they are doing it there for attention. When they mean business in the scratching dept they go to the tree. Those cardboard ones you put on the floor are good too. Another great toy that all kittens seem to love is the turbo scratcher. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753802 They often outgrow playing with the ball but will continue to use the scratching part.

Regarding catnip, Most kittens are indifferent to it and it is not good to give really young ones catnip. Save the catnip for her 6 month or 1 year birthday. All of mine are catnip junkies. I grow it and 4 out of 5 love it fresh but 1 only likes it after it is dried out. I just sprinkle it on the floor, let them party it up then sweep away the residue.

I am also a big advocate of indoor only cats. They stay much healthier and are quite content to stay inside if you don't start letting them out all the time. I have had friends leash train their kitties for outside time. I live in the country and mine get occasional supervised outside time in the summer.

I am confident little Tiger Lilly will win over DH. Mine always complains but he really loves all the cats and will often call them up into his lap.

Your new baby is a real sweetheart. Enjoy!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 AM

there is a litter called worlds best it is corn based and supposed to be flushable but if you have a septic tank i wouldn't and any high protien kitten food is good
Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 AM

How wonderful of you to take her in. Good quality food will aid her longevity and health. If you are already doing something like Blue Buffalo or Wellness for your dogs doing the feline version for Tiger Lily makes great sense. I've also had a lot of luck with Royal Canin. They have prescription diets but they also have a commercially available line that isn't as expensive.

I use a scoopable litter but don't flush it, or at least not urine clumps. Flushing stools isn't a problem. I agree with other board members to transition to a deeper pan when she's older to cut down on shaken litter mess. I also keep my litter pans in the spare bath tub. Helps to contain the mess and since the bathroom floor is easily swept, that helps too. I put a layer of baking soda (I get the big bags from Costco) down in the tub and then set the litter pan on that. That way if they miss the pan (one of my boys goes almost straight back instead of down, almost spraying but not quite) it gets soaked up by soda and doesn't smell as quickly. Sets up like rock but breaks up with a sweeping and any residue is easily dissolved by running water in the tub and doesn't hurt the plumbing.

She may or may not be interested in catnip. If she has the gene for it then it will be great fun when she is older.

I keep mine inside exclusively so that I don't have to worry about what they come in contact with out there in the wild yard. I have an old boy that I don't want to risk vaccinating so keeping him safe is all up to me.

She is darling. Do share photos as she matures ;-)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 AM

I want to be you, the kitten is just beautiful!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM

What an adorable kitten! So nice of you to adopt her. Looks like she's taken over already and is very comfortable in your home.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM

For those that missed her name, it's Tiger Lily. And she is so appreciative to all the board memebers who posted here. We will be going to the vet on Monday, and then going to our Pet Store here. We don't have a Pet Smart, but will take all the advise I got here and see what we come home with, then to the computer to get the rest. I promise she will not be declawed. I googled kittens the day I got her and read that a lot of vets won't even do it. And now that I know exactly what they do, there is no way. Also I just thought those tower things were just toys, didn't realize they were for scratching too. So we'll have one here in the room I cut my fabric in. And a few of those flat ones for other rooms. That litter box that has the filter in it looks great. But to high for her right now. And cat training on the toilet, maybe that's where I got the idea of flushing litter. She will be an inside cat. I don't like when other peoples cat come dig in my flowers and do their duty. So I'll keep our duty at home. One day I'll make one of those funny cat patterns that I've seen on here and in shops. I always thought they were adorable. Thank you all for all your help. I knew if I asked here I get all the answers I needed. I love you guys.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by girlsfour
Here is the kitten my daughter found last October at college that we took in. He was as sweet as can be. He is now a teenager and very playful and nocturnal!
He's so cute. They look like they could be from the same liter but Levi has more stripes. At least at this age.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

good luck with her, she's so cute and lucky to have a new momma