New kitty

Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 AM

what a lovable sweet face!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Katie-- Congrads on the new kittie. We just lost our cat in March. Have fun with yours. Just watch the dogs when Tiger Lily eats as our dog just loved the cats food better then his own. We had to put the cats food in a higher place just so the dog would not get it. Then when the cat got sick we had to make sure the door was shut so the dog would not get the food. Don't know what is so fansinating about cat food!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Awwwww.......I just love the pictures of your new baby!!! She is so-o-o-o cute!!! Her name is perfect!!! It looks like she has made herself right at home, and she must be a smart one, too!! She's already using the computer!!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM

I would use kitten food from purnina and the arm and hammer litter
I have bottle feed a couple of litters of kittens and this is what i have use
Old 04-16-2011, 11:18 AM

What a cutie pie! Kittens are soooo fun "-)

We changed from some of the name brands of scoopable litter to Special Kitty from Walmart. No perfume, not too dusty and sure saves $$$.

Agreeing with the recommendations for premuim food. Better diet = less Vet same as it helps us to stay away form the Dr. :-)

We use Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Green Pea and Chicken as Teddi has grain allergies. Grains are not generally something that cats in the wild would eat anyway.

The very best thing I have found with this food is there is NO dye so when there is an upchuck on the carpet it doesn't make a brown stain. Spent years scrubbing those out before discovering this food.

Canned food is generally recommended as more appropriate for cats as they generally don't drink enough. But there are cats (Teddi!) who just can't eat wet. She "gave it back" every time we tried it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 AM

She is a cutie!! I am so glad you took her in and she didn't have to go to the pound. Lucky - both of you!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 PM

My vet had me use Good Start -its sold in the baby formula aisle to soften kitten chow til her teeth get stonger then wean her this way she won't get use to the expensive canned stuff that really isn't good for baby kittys And sorry about the litter the techies must not have cats.I have 2 cats and use TidyCat instant odor absorbant it works real good.Have fun and enjoy your new Quilt Inspector
Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
My neighbor found a teeny tiny kitten in her back yard yesterday. We went around the neighborhood trying to locate her owner, with no luck. I don't think she's even 6 weeks old. My neighbor was going to take her to the pound. But I couldn't let her do that. So I now have an added pet to my family. But it has been a very long time since I've had a kitten. And so many products have changed. Any tips on food, litter, is there a flushable liter yet? Any ideas, help, would be greatly appreciated. I have two dogs and one has already decided it's her mother and cleans her. She is an adorable grey and white tabby, with white around her beatiful blue eyes, and white on her chin. I call her Tiger Lily. Thanks in advance for your help. I know there are a lot of cat owners on this board.

We kept two kittens about this age alive on Cat Milk (sold at the bigger groceries with the pet food in small boxes like little kid's juice boxes) mixed with Gerber baby Oatmeal cereal. Mix til sloppy (like gruel at first) and let them walk into it to lick it up til full....repeat about 4-5 times a day. They will thrive on this until you can start mixing some canned meaty food in gradually....then eventually lessen the cereal and milk. As they get teeth you can very gradually add in some kitten dry food until you have them on whatever you want them to eat as kittens; dry only or a mix of dry and canned. PS at age 9, these two still think milk and oatmeal cereal is a grand treat!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 PM

There IS a flushable litter and it's so much healthier for your little furbaby. It's made of wheat and it's called SWeat. Honestly! I have six indoor furbabies. This wheat based litter is much better for their lungs as the clumping litter is clay based and gives off toxins that cause breathing problems.
Originally Posted by klgreene
My neighbor found a teeny tiny kitten in her back yard yesterday. We went around the neighborhood trying to locate her owner, with no luck. I don't think she's even 6 weeks old. My neighbor was going to take her to the pound. But I couldn't let her do that. So I now have an added pet to my family. But it has been a very long time since I've had a kitten. And so many products have changed. Any tips on food, litter, is there a flushable liter yet? Any ideas, help, would be greatly appreciated. I have two dogs and one has already decided it's her mother and cleans her. She is an adorable grey and white tabby, with white around her beatiful blue eyes, and white on her chin. I call her Tiger Lily. Thanks in advance for your help. I know there are a lot of cat owners on this board.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM

i have 10 indoor cats my lil one was real small when i got her from the pound the vet told me to give her goatmilk it has all in it they need and babyfood like meats and mix it with kitten wet food cans.then also leave i used iams kittenfood.She is a very healthy 8 pounder now.