New Puppies-help please

Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Good luck with a double leash it didn't work for my two chichi sisters. They will want to sleep with you when they get older, they love heating pads.we sleep with three in our bed, and you have to be careful they are so little, our smallest is three pounds.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 AM

I did foster care for awhile, I had a chihuahua for 6 months, then someone adopted her. I wanted to keep her so bad, but nobody in my family liked her because she yelled at anyone that would come near me. I miss her, but am keeping in touch with her new parents and she is doing fine. Since she was a rescue dog she still has some habits to break, but was great with catching on the housebreaking. I agree with the others, watch for the signs as sniffing and what appears that they are looking for something, its potty time.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Evy

Default New Puppies Update

We've had the "girls" about three weeks and thanks to all your advice, they're doing great. One consistently goes to the door when she needs to potty, one would rather use the puppy pad, but she'll get the idea of going outside eventually. Since they are always together when Lucy goes to the door, Bess follows. They've never cried at night but do cry to be held. No problem there. They're doing well with the leashes, not so well with the chewing but we've been trained not to leave things on the floor or cords and ear buds dangling. I am so glad we took both of these little girls. Still not sure they're full Chihuahua but at almost 3 months they're just under 3 pounds, so most probably will be small. Thanks again for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails girls.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh they are so adorable!! loads of fun and love. enjoy!!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Glad to hear things seem to be going well.

They are about as cute as they can be! They look like they don't miss much while they are awake!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

We live in the country too. And yes the wild life will eat your puppy. Please lease it all the time. they will get used to it. My doggie is now full grown and 8 lbs. She wore a harness for the longest time and just now went to a collar. If you are not familiar with crate training be sure to learn about it. when we take Nina to potty she goes outside in the same area. She always wears her leash. In the beginning I always had her on the leash in the house too so I could make sure she would not pee or poo. The only time she was off her leash was when she was in her crate. Remember little dogs need to use the bathroom a lot. also they tend to be harder to house train. Once they pee some where or poo in the house be sure to clean it really well else they will go there. I also noticed, since out home is larger, that even though she potty trained over time, I had to watch her in areas/rooms that she did not consider as her den. they will try to go potty there first if you do not meet their needs in time. My Nina was 4 lb at 4 months and now at about 1 1/2 yrs she is 8 lb. I controlled Nina's chewing by buying those raw hide bones. Whenever she got into something she should not I would trade her. I also bought some small doggie stuffed animals. They are adorable. I am so glad you took both. It sounds like they were not in the best of circumstances.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-05-05_22-28-17_776-custom-.jpg   2013-05-30_23-01-48_936-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM

How sweet they are. We lost our dog last February and I still cry over her. I have had the best luck with crate training. It is easier on you and most important, teaches the dog to not go in their living space. Find some good information on how to do it and follow it exactly. Good luck. Wish they were mine!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM

oh my gosh-they are so adorable. Please, if you have more pictures, don't think you're bothering anyone if you post them. hint hint.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Thank you so much, Evy, for the update on your little sweethearts! :-)
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 AM

Hi Evy! Your babies are adorable. As to being full bred chihuahuas, I don't believe they are from the looks of them. Looks like they have some lab in them. Since you had chihuahuas before, you know they have longer, pointier snouts, and large upright ears. (I realize dog's ears don't stand up completely until they are 6+ months old), but your girls don't look like full chihuahuas. One thing IS for sure....they are 100% pure lovable pups! That said....THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!! I love them!!!!

I had chihuahuas at one time (3), but 2 were long hairs and weighed about 2 lbs., the other looked like a min pin and weighed about 10 lbs. All lived to be 18+ years old. I now have a German Shepherd and my girl weighs in at a hefty 110 pounds. She's 7 on Halloween and loves me to pieces.

Good luck with your beautiful girls! Hope the training is going well.

Anita