Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • New way to make returns to Amazon >
  • New way to make returns to Amazon

• New way to make returns to Amazon

Old 12-01-2020, 10:40 AM

The tax incentive for large corporations to destroy merchandise is huge. Before I retired, I managed a store for 25 years for a major corporation. One Christmas, we received a large shipment of Christmas Dogs. Upon arrival we were notified to destroy the dogs, because the color was not what was ordered. Supposed to be brown and tan, but was just tan. My store received 432 of these dogs. I made an "executive decision" to not destroy them. I knew I was risking my job, but felt it was worth it. My husband and I removed the boxes, and I signed the "I destroyed the merchandise" form while crossing my fingers. I anonymously donated them. Some went to our local Cops for Kids, and some went to an organization that gave gifts to kids. The joy in knowing what these dogs meant to the kids far outweighed the consequences. Over the years, while talking to other managers in my district, I found out I was not the only manager that did this. I still would do it all over again.

Last edited by Anniedeb; 12-01-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Old 12-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Default credit card woes

know I'm not the only one this is happening to--but got an alert from my credit card company asking if I'd spent over $2300 recently to a paypal account--hadn't. Plus another charge to same paypal for $1300 today. Nope on that too. So got it resolved today and now to wait for a new credit card--3rd this year for same reason. In talking to the fraud dept. rep I asked how to keep this from happening so often. She said major way, if you haven't lost a card, is to pay for gas purchases inside as it's so easy to install a credit card reader in a gas pump without getting caught and gather lots of card info that way. I had made a gas purchase at a station I don't frequent about 5 days before these charges. And when I said I was reluctant during the pandemic to go inside to make the purchase, she suggested I do what her mother does--get a reloadable card (like from a grocery or drug store) and put about 3 tanks worth of credit on it and then use it. She also suggested if anyone has ever stolen your identify or gotten ahold of lots of your information (especially date of birth and social security #) to put a 7 year freeze with the credit rating companies. I had done that in Jan. 2013 because someone had my data plus last 4 # of my SSN.
    Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 PM

Any time I make a purchase online, I use a virtual credit card. It works like this:

I go to Privacy.com. (I've been told that some credit card companies offer this feature also, but I have no idea which ones they are). I set up an account with my credit card on file, very similar to PayPal. Privacy.com requires two-factor authentication, which means after entering my login and password info, they send a code to my email that I have to enter to verify my identity. When I want to make a purchase, I set up how much I want to spend and the software creates a new, single-use only credit card number. For instance, if my purchase amount at Target is $34.78 (including shipping and tax), I'll set the credit card for $35.00.
    If Target is hacked again, I don't have to cancel my cards and get new ones; the card won't work. There is an option for a set monthly amount, for things like a Netflix subscription, but I've not used it for that.

No affiliation, just a satisfied user with online shopping peace of mind.
    Old 12-02-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Any time I make a purchase online, I use a virtual credit card. It works like this:

I go to Privacy.com. (I've been told that some credit card companies offer this feature also, but I have no idea which ones they are). I set up an account with my credit card on file, very similar to PayPal. Privacy.com requires two-factor authentication, which means after entering my login and password info, they send a code to my email that I have to enter to verify my identity. When I want to make a purchase, I set up how much I want to spend and the software creates a new, single-use only credit card number. For instance, if my purchase amount at Target is $34.78 (including shipping and tax), I'll set the credit card for $35.00.
    If Target is hacked again, I don't have to cancel my cards and get new ones; the card won't work. There is an option for a set monthly amount, for things like a Netflix subscription, but I've not used it for that.

No affiliation, just a satisfied user with online shopping peace of mind.
    Great info! thank you! I think there are some options on my Capitol One that I haven't been using and plan to investigate those too.
    Old 12-04-2020, 06:37 AM
    Power Poster

I buy on Amazon all the time but recently visited Target online for a few things. Both companies have done the same thing- I receive something damaged, just one thing and they've reshipped my order. So I'm getting doubles of things. How do they make any money, right? All I can think of is the huge markup.
    I hate the idea of things going to landfills as others have mentioned............
    Old 12-04-2020, 01:10 PM

My dau ordered from Amazon & found it necessary to return so she took it to Kohls. Her item was “shipped from Amazon” so the clerk told her it’s acceptable by them but not all returns are. I don’t know the specifics.

Department stores send unsold merchandise (probably returns too) by semi loads to Mexico and the flea market vendors snatch them up at the Ropa warehouses then resell in the USA. I saw tables covered with jewelry with department store price tags. They’re on a tablecloth so end of the day, they roll it all up & shove it in the car. Remember seeing big racks of swimsuits with Walmart tags. Every Spring Winter Texans from one of the campgrounds in Rio Grand Valley has a style show with clothes they picked up for a song. I was told they do a lot of digging because the clothes are dumped in huge stacks. They serve dessert & charge then use the proceeds for scholarships for local high schoolers so it’s a good cause. The EmCee wears her fur coat she bought for about $5.