Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • New York Finger Lakes pix--from a lake >
  • New York Finger Lakes pix--from a lake

• New York Finger Lakes pix--from a lake

Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM

Great pics. and it is so nice to see that you and hubby share a fun pastime together
    Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by mamaw
    Oh, I envy you the pleasure. I have always wanted to kayak for the simple serenity of it; but don't know how to swim so am scared to even try. I grew up with a mom who didn't let us go above our knees in the water, now I have too much fear to try to swim. My youngest son has a pool and I only stay in the shallow end even though I love the water. Fear comes over me once I know that the water is deeper than I am tall. I hope you and hubby continue to enjoy your hobby for many years to come. Are there any loons on the lake for your enjoyment?
    Mamaw, I've truly enjoyed the few times I've been kayaking, and I'm as afraid of the water as you are! But... you can have your cake and eat it to. We've kayaked up in the Adirondacks, and there are lots of lovely and very shallow streams that you can go in, where it would be maybe waist deep if you overturned (which you won't)... so you could have the joy of the experience and NONE of the fear! I would think that in Maine there might be similar streams you could try.

I was hoping to get back up to the Adirondacks this summer, but once again it didn't happen (sigh). It's my dream to kayak again through a narrow channel, choked with waterlilies... lakes are fine, but I love to see the sights up close. That's what's nice about little streams.
    Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM
    Power Poster

Looks like fun
    Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 AM

Thanks for sharing with us all,our lake is getting a revamp for them to be able to use it for rowing events.
    Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 AM

Mamaw, I've truly enjoyed the few times I've been kayaking, and I'm as afraid of the water as you are! But... you can have your cake and eat it to. We've kayaked up in the Adirondacks, and there are lots of lovely and very shallow streams that you can go in, where it would be maybe waist deep if you overturned (which you won't)... so you could have the joy of the experience and NONE of the fear! I would think that in Maine there might be similar streams you could try.

I was hoping to get back up to the Adirondacks this summer, but once again it didn't happen (sigh). It's my dream to kayak again through a narrow channel, choked with waterlilies... lakes are fine, but I love to see the sights up close. That's what's nice about little streams.
    I agree on the being able to kayak even if one is scared of deep water. We've been in some windy situations and if those kayaks were going to tip--they would have. They didn't even come close--and mine is narrow. The kayak I use for when I go alone--40 lbs and fits in the back of the van--is like paddling in a bath tub. That baby would never tip over!

Mark likes to explore, I like being on the lake. :lol: So--we compromise by going in the West River now and then--I did get great photos there--and he oftens paddles close to shore so he can investigate. The ends of the lakes have lots of see. I like the work out and open water! We usually paddle for two hours--much longer and our butts are sore from sitting and our arms are just getting tired. :roll:
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM

I paddled a short time on Canandaigua Lake this morning--under an hour. It was quite wavy! I was pretty damp when I went into my room to work. :roll: Tomorrow is our last day in the 90s--thank goodness! After one rainy day in the low 80s, we'll be in the 60s and low 70s for many days! Yay!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-109010.jpe  
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
    Oh, I envy you the pleasure. I have always wanted to kayak for the simple serenity of it; but don't know how to swim so am scared to even try. I grew up with a mom who didn't let us go above our knees in the water, now I have too much fear to try to swim. My youngest son has a pool and I only stay in the shallow end even though I love the water. Fear comes over me once I know that the water is deeper than I am tall. I hope you and hubby continue to enjoy your hobby for many years to come. Are there any loons on the lake for your enjoyment?
    You know, I was the same way until I determined to get past it at age 55. I saw an ad for swimming lessons for adults who are afraid, and so I signed up for it. We took 3 lessons just getting used to getting our faces wet!!!
    I did learn to swim, and to float and all those basic things. I'll never be impressive, but I can hold my own now, and no longer have the fear that keeps me from doing something I want to do. I can't dive, but I can jump off the diving board into the deep end without being afraid. I just like keeping my head over my feet. LOL.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the memories! I grew up in that area - used to go swimming in Keuka Lake when I was a kid! When I got older & bought a motorcycle, I'd take a road trip around Keuka Lake on a nice afternoon. I wonder if that big mansion is still up at the top of the lake, overlooking it. I'd always stop there, just to see the beautiful scenery, and dream about living in that house....
    Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 AM

My husband and I used to go to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes when we were kids to fish and picnic. There used to be a pavilion made of trellis in a park at the end of one of the lakes and that's where we'd head. We expanded to Canandaigua but were turned off by the insane amount of boat traffic. Conesius Lake was too crowded, Seneca too cold and deep. We ended up with a cottage on Keuka, 198 W.Lake Rd -- the one that had the "airmail" mailbox about 12-feet in the air and was directly below Bully Hill Winery. We owned that for almost 5 years after we moved south, probably thinking we'd be back. It was hard to let it go. Wasn't that mansion on the top of the bluff of Keuka turned into a bed and breakfast? It used to be a winery (Chateau Esperanza???). We were amazed at how commercial the area has become since we left. Do they still have the "Ring of Fire" on Labor Day weekend?
    Old 09-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
    My husband and I used to go to Hemlock and Canadice Lakes when we were kids to fish and picnic. There used to be a pavilion made of trellis in a park at the end of one of the lakes and that's where we'd head. We expanded to Canandaigua but were turned off by the insane amount of boat traffic. Conesius Lake was too crowded, Seneca too cold and deep. We ended up with a cottage on Keuka, 198 W.Lake Rd -- the one that had the "airmail" mailbox about 12-feet in the air and was directly below Bully Hill Winery. We owned that for almost 5 years after we moved south, probably thinking we'd be back. It was hard to let it go. Wasn't that mansion on the top of the bluff of Keuka turned into a bed and breakfast? It used to be a winery (Chateau Esperanza???). We were amazed at how commercial the area has become since we left. Do they still have the "Ring of Fire" on Labor Day weekend?
    There's a lovely little park at the end of Hemlock Lake--Mark and I drove through it last time we were there. We were thinking we should picnic there sometime. Cdga Lake does have a lot of boats--but it's very close to us, and we go early in the morning to try to beat the boat traffic. I hate the smell of them--the other lakes smell like the Adirondacks.

The Esperanza is now a fancy restaurant. My cousin was married there years ago--and had the reception there. That's the only time I've been.

I know Cdga Lake does the Ring of Fire...not sure about the others.

It seems to me I've seen that mailbox!!! :-D We had friends, the Stuarts, who have a cottage on Keuka--maybe we saw it when we went there.

vivoaks--we've kayaked on Keuka too. We live right in the middle of Seneca, Cdga, and Keuka. I haven't gone on Seneca--too deep. Shiver. :lol: The place to launch at Keuka is full of duck poop one must walk through to get to the water. Mark and I had one of those wind burst experiences there too. :wink: