Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Nick names, a Southern thing >
  • Nick names, a Southern thing

• Nick names, a Southern thing

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

My grandfather gew up on the rosebud reservation and his names for us are (mine) Brighteyes, (my sisters,) laughing lady,( brother,) himself. (baby sister) warror woman, cuase she ruled the house! He named my son's jingle-bob, and hardtwist. And yes, we all answer to our names.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM
    Power Poster

I'm not in the south but my gpa gave everyone a nickname. I was little eskimo when I was born and then he called me punky. My cousin Rita was popcorn and her sister peanuts. My mom was bum because she supposedly looked at her little sister when she was born(mom was 2) and called her a bum. Everyone had a nickname.

In school one kid was called Pinky and I still don't know his real name. A girl I grew up with was called George because she was such a sports nut.
    My FIL and his brother were Denzell and Paul but the farmer they worked for called them Ike and Jake after his mules because they argued and fought so much he said they looked just like his mules. the nicknames stuck. My FIL was also called Curly because of red curls even after he lost all his hair.
    My MIL used to call my son Nathan -Sammy when he was bad.Saying she must have brought Sammy home with her instead of Nathan. My DD Sara got called Sarsy baresy because as a toddler she would run outside with no clothes on.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM

My dad goes by Sonny, and I have an Uncle Sonny too. A great aunt was called Aunt Pete (her name was Iris). My grandpa was called Doc (short for Murdock) but he wasn't a doctor, although many people thought he was since that was his nickname. Grandpa called me Suzie, although that's nowhere near my real name.
    Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM

When I was little my sister (she is 6 years younger than me) use to call me Nelope (short for Penelope but she couldn't say it) and my name is Kaci! No idea where she came up with that. She was about 3 when she started it!

She also referred to herself as mom and she called my mom Brittany (her name). Then my brother was neighbor boy. And she always said we got my Dad from Albertsons (grocery store). She was the baby so we amused her and let her do it lol
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Well I'm not from the South but the Midwest and nicknames were all over here. i didn't have one but had a cousin "duckie", my brother was "shorty",went to school with a "cookie", "cricket",and "peaches". My dad always called the babies in the family "peanut". That nickname only lasted till the next baby came along.
    it was also common to call adults "aunt" or "uncle" whether they were related to you or not. Even my dad called our elderly neighbors "grandma and grandpa" as long as thye lived. It was considered a sign of respect.
    Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
    Power Poster

i was called Lynnie Poo, i have since dropped the poo.
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 PM

I grew up in Texas and my Daddy nearly always called me "Stinky" - not because I smelled, but because I was a stinker - always getting into mischief. My brother was Buddy from the day he was born and still is! My sister was Squirt. My husband's name is Henry but he has always been called Hank. My nickname for him is 'Henry' - go figure!
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
    Banned

I don't know how it got started but I was Pammy Pee-Doo

I've got a Bug; Kimba; Patty Cakes; Cher; and many others....That's Texas for you!
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM

My grandmothers were Mama Jackie and Mama Bee. One of my aunts is Causey- her name is Inza, nobody really knows where Causey came from. My grandfather was Daddy Perk to us kids, but to his friends he was "Dude." And he was born before 1900! We've called our son "pup" for years, and our daughter somehow got to be called "monkey man." And me, well, with red hair, what else? "Red"
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
    Kas

I call my little sister Tater because when you asked her name she would say "Tay-Toe". Her name is Sarajo. So she became Tater-Toe and then just Tater. She called me Sassy, but not anymore. Now she just calls me Kas or Kathy. Kas was my nickname from my parents and everyone called me that. Once my mom asked one of my friends, "Where is Kathy?" and they looked at her and asked, "Who?".