Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >
  • Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

• Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm sorry for all your problems with your doctor but I must tell you that you are not alone in this. I live in Arizona and I'm having the same problem. I'm in the process of trying to find a new doctor. Mine is very arrogent and only he knows what's best for me. I know nothing!! Hope you can resolve this soon so you feel happy with your doctor.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 AM
    j

I wanted to find a new Dr. and 3 times was told they won't take Medicare so I am stuck with a Dr. I don't care for, took over the previous Dr. business. I have given it a fair chance. Now I'll wait until I am really really sick and go to Urgent Care services. - J
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 AM

I was thinking about doing that myself.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM

A lot of people get upset when they don't walk out of the office with a prescription for that magic pill. I've been through several pediatricians because I won't give my kids drugs unless I have a reason for it. I would much rather leave with the knowledge that they have a virus and will get better on their own, than with an anti-biotic "just in case". A lot of doctors are not quite sure how to handle that.
    It sounds like you have already tried to discuss your feeling on medication with your doctor,and he hasn't listened, so if at all possible find a new one.
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM

What is it with doctors and women. It seems as though someone suffering from the fatal 3Fs (Female, over Forty and Fat) can't get any doctor to listen.

In your case, CHANGE DOCTORS - at the very least, find someone to get a thorough examination and second opinion. Do it ASAP.

I had lymphoma (similar to leukemia in that I had to have transfusions, etc.) After chemo my bloodwork became normal. About six months later I started coughing - complained to my doctor - he kept saying "Your bloodwork is fine, don't worry, it's your imagination." Couldn't get him to listen.

Six months later started having severe stomach pains. I went to see a different doctor - his instant diagnosis "Acid Reflux". He put me on Pepsid.

Three months later had to have complete physical (took DH with me). Again, complained of cough, no relief from acid reflux, etc. DH insisted on chest x-ray. Turned out I had lung cancer and masses in my abdomen.
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 AM

If you are experiencing a choking feeling when you try to swallow, you may need physical therapy - are you on Actonel or any of the meds supposed to increase bone density and prevent osteoporosis? PLEASE talk to your ob/gyn or find another physician!
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
    I also want to ask for some advice about how to get a doctor to listen to you.

I guess that is just the way doctors are now.

I had my list of topics I wanted to cover and he saw it. I always take one. I stated what I wanted to talk about when he asked why I was there. Things went downhill from there.
    I teach in the "Doctoring and Clinical Skills" course at UMass Med School. We teach our medical students a "patient-centered" approach to interviewing. The physicians who teach in the course are all working PCPs: they are well aware of the constraints on modern medicine (15 minutes per patient, etc.)

Yesterday we evaluated our first year medical students: they've only been in school about 2-1/2 months. In the 12 minutes they were given, each of them was able to calm a nervous patient, gather information related to the chief complaint, ask what the patient was worried about, and form a preliminary differential diagnosis.

There are well trained physicians out there, and it's worth looking until you find one. The key is how well they listen to you.

If this physician is part of a medical center, there should be a "Patient Representative" service where you can take complaints about the care you receive. Another option is to talk to the doctor directly, if you're able to: tell him what you are concerned about. If he doesn't respond, then find someone else.

Good luck!

Jory
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM

You might need to see an allergy specialest.
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Years ago I relealized my OB/GYN had stopped listening to me after having a test he ordered and that I was uncomfortable with having taken. When he asked me sarcastically if it was his responsiblity/job to tell me how a test or procedure was done, I realized it was time to find a new doctor.
    That was after I informed him that yes it was his responsibility as being a paitent and a non-medical person I didn't have a clue about how the test were performed. He was after all the one with the medical degree. We parted ways after that.
    Doctors in many offices who earn their money based on how many patients they can see in a day are overwhelmed, overworked and sometimes go through the motions. Are they encouraged to push certain drugs, I would say probably.
    It is up to you as the patient to either make your voice heard or change doctors. The idea of making an appointment to just touch base is a good one, just make sure you tell the person setting the appointment you need a certain amount of time to have the disscussion and tell them it is to discuss not get Rx. I believe the average in most offices these days are 10 to 15 min. blocks of time per patient. Good luck.
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by dragonflylady
    find a NEW doc perhaps a DO vs an MD..... im going to try NOT to jump on my soap box & just get 2 the point =0)
    Docs r NOT taught how to fix ANYTHING they r taught to give u a drug they do not know what to do generally with someone who wants to partner with them in their health or an educated customer. they r TAUGHT to be the god who passes out drugs 2 yrs in med school is learning to dispense drugs nutrition education is OPTIONAL. the drug companies fun many fund medical schools. truly this is ALLLLLL docs know how to pass out drugs & ur sensitivity frustrates him HIGHLY. good luck in ur search this is y i wont go to a doc other then an emergency. furthermore u must remember this is in part y they call it PRACTICING MEDICINE.....
    Some medical schools, like the one I teach at, have banned all contact between the school and the drug companies. While it is true that all of our students must take a pharmacology course, I can assure you that what is taught is by generic name only, and they learn how the drugs work and what interactions to avoid. It is also only 1 semester out of 8.

I think that if you knew how difficult and comprehensive medical education is, you would amend your view of medicine. Yes, just as in all professions, there are people who should not be practicing. But it's simply not true that "they r TAUGHT to be the god who passes out drugs 2 yrs in med school is learning to dispense drugs nutrition education is OPTIONAL."

Jory