Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all >
  • Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

• Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM

If anyone comes to my house unexpected they are meet by me and one of my side kicks, usually Smith & Wesson or Colt so no problems here but it is sad that you can't live in a safe place any more. I remember when we could leave the house unattended and unlocked and never had a problem with anyone wanting to enter. Now a days, they don't even care if you are home or not, they will come in if they think they can get by with it.
    Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Thx for the info. I haven't heard of this happening in the D/FW area, but will pass it on to my friends and relatives. How many times have we opened our doors to a florist delivery person without a thought except the thrill of someone remembering us with flowers? This is so sad.
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM

I am not in NJ, but also not very PC, lol. We put the hook and eye latches on our screen door, so it can't just be easily opened by anyone on the other side. My door has a bookcase behind it, and I have a nice .38 sitting at hand level. If my four barking doxies don't scare them off, I can certain put up a good fight.

We get a lot of people coming around door to door wanting to sell stuff. My favorite are the ones who want to install an alarm system. Really? I always ask if they noticed the ADT signs on the lawn. Idiots.
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Must be desperate people out there, they will try anything, thanks for the warning. But of course, I haven't received any flowers delivered in over 25 yrs.
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM

duplicate post!
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 AM

After thinking about it for awhile, I realised something: if you look at the actual facts, violent crime in the USA has gone down in the last twenty years.

Sure, there are horrible crimes but factually, they are not more prevalent now than they were twenty years ago or even forty years ago. For instance, do you know when the worst school massacre took place? Answer: 18 May 1927 in Bath Township, Michigan.

I think part of the reason why crime seems more prevalent now is because information about crime is so much easier to find. With the internet, everything becomes magnified.

I also suspect that there is a certain amount of self serving news spreading that goes on. For instance, "safety" is a widely cited reason for equipping everyone (and their dog, no kidding) with cell phone/GPS technology. Well, is there anyone who might benefit from this? Sure, a few potential victims and a great big cellphone/GPS industry!

I try to live sensibly but not in fear.
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Just tell them to leave it in the hall or on the porch and your HUBBY will bring it in as soon as he finishes cleaning his guns. That should keep them away for awhile.
    Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bren
    Thx for the info. I haven't heard of this happening in the D/FW area, but will pass it on to my friends and relatives. How many times have we opened our doors to a florist delivery person without a thought except the thrill of someone remembering us with flowers? This is so sad.
    We only found out bc a close family friend is a cop and warned us.
    Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM

I had an electrician wire my doorbell to my phone. When the doorbell is rung, the phone rings and I can talk to the person through an intercom system. If it was a florist, I would ask them to leave it at the door and when I saw his truck leave I could open the door and get the flowers.
    Primary concern - stay safe! Don't take a chance.
    My neighbor has a fake camera hooked up to the front porch. I found out by trying to let him know I had a package delivered to me for him. It was a weird feeling to see the camera pointing at me!
    Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I open the door just a crack, surrounded by 5 dogs of all sizes and breeds who are always madly barking their heads off. The five include two Pit Bulls and a German Shepherd----none of whom would hurt anybody if he spoke to them nicely and offered to pet them, but it's the look that counts! The herd of mutts scares off anybody without a legit reason to knock on the door. They often go away before I get downstairs to open it.