Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Not a quilt question - hope someone knows what to use >
  • Not a quilt question - hope someone knows what to use

• Not a quilt question - hope someone knows what to use

Old 07-13-2024, 08:26 AM

Default Not a quilt question - hope someone knows what to use

I have 5 plastic project boxes from Costco. They were the perfect size and shape 15 x 15. But they get this weird film on them. Not sure how to describe it but it seems to happen to plastic that doesn't get run in a dishwasher on a regular basis. My TV remote had the same - it's not from food because I do not allow food in my sewing room. (My coffee doesn't even have cream or sugar.) The boxes don't get handled much - they hold those projects that are started but have hit a holding point. I tried cleaning them with rubbing alcohol, peroxide, various spray cleaners. Nothing seems to remove it. I am to the point of taking everything out of them and running them through the dishwasher to see if that will help. My other bins don't do this - just those bins from Costco. (I do believe they are about 10 + years old.). Does anyone else have this problem? Do you just thrown them out or ignore the outside of the box.
    Old 07-13-2024, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

What is "weird film" ?

If you can you give us a better description, maybe there'll be some suggestions.
    Old 07-13-2024, 11:50 AM

I use dish detergent and hot water to wash plastic. Best grease cutter around.
    Old 07-13-2024, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

I've never seen or felt that on any of my plastic bins. I have bought some from every source over the years when I found them on sale. Are they the color ones? That may be the dye used to tint the plastic.
    Old 07-14-2024, 05:52 AM

Chemicals oxidize. Plastic is made of various chemicals. heat can speed up that process. That doesn't mean they will deteriorate, but the plastic can get dull looking. I think it's fine as long as you don't eat or drink from plastic containers that are ten years old and most likely from China.
    Old 07-14-2024, 05:56 AM

personally, I would get different boxes for projects. If you can't, perhaps you could line them with something, perhaps tracing paper or such. Good luck.
    Old 07-15-2024, 04:44 AM

Try running one through the dishwasher to see if that takes care of the problem.

If not, if the film is on the outside only, I would buy some contact paper to cover the plastic so I don't see the film.

If the film is on the inside, I would consider getting rid of the boxes or use them for something that is not my fabric.

Plastics are not the most stable of products. It is rotten that it is happening to perfect sized containers!

Old 07-17-2024, 04:31 AM

That happens on items that are starting to deteriorate, it usually happens after 10years or so. It also depends on how they were stored, if stored in a warm environment they will deteriorate faster. When this happens the plastic can release toxic chemicals like phthalates and BPA into any food that is stored in them. I realize you do not store food in them but simply put they are old and probably need to be replaced.
    Old 07-17-2024, 12:46 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. They are colored bins, and more than likely they are from China. They were a great deal at Costco. I think I will try washing them with Dawn and if that doesn't work they will be sent to the trash. San Diego county is a warm climate - not excessively, more dry, than hot. They don't appear to be falling apart, they just feel yucky.
    Old 07-24-2024, 07:22 PM

I think I have the same ones from Costco.....they are like the Art Bin brand that JoAnn Fabrics sells, except they don't have handles and thinner plastic...they are colored plastic (yellow, orange I think). I haven't checked them in awhile (they are in the closet with quilt projects in them. I have them all covered with a navy blue flannel sheet so they don't get any sun. Maybe that would help?