Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • November Weight Loss Adventure with Prize!!!!! >
  • November Weight Loss Adventure with Prize!!!!!

• November Weight Loss Adventure with Prize!!!!!

Old 11-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by CindyA
    It was just olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, freshly ground black pepper, and salt. It was too plain for us, I'm going to try some spices to add to it. I plan on making something for tonight's dinner, if it turns out better I'll post the ingredients.
    OK, we just finished our salads and we all really liked the one I made tonight. Go to Food Network, there is a page "50 Salad Dressings." This one is #9 Italian:
    Soak 2T minced red onion in cold water, 15 mins, drain. Pile 1/2 garlic clove, 2 T fresh parsley, 1 t. dried oregano and 1/2 t. kosher salt on a board; chop and mash into a paste. Whisk with 2 T red wine vinegar and the onion. Gradually whisk in 1/2 c. olive oil.

Does anyone know why it calls for soaking the red onion in cold water? I did it, but I don't know what the purpose is. I substituted dried parsley for the fresh (reducing it to 1 T, and accidentally used 1 T (rather than teaspoon) of dried oregano).

If you try it I hope you like it, also.
    Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM

I sometimes soak onion in cold water it takes some of the bite out of the onion. We have onions in the garden and sometimes they are pretty hot. Sounds tasty I will have to try it. ALso some of the other 50 listed.
    Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
    Tell us about your music, Jan.
    Thanks for the info. I'm still determined with my weight loss and have stuck like crazy glue to good eating. I'm shocking myself!

I learned piano at an early age. From there I played the french horn in school. I switched to saxophone when I joined the marching band. I also love to sing. =D I've taught my kids to play the piano. One of my boys is also playing guitar, mandolin, violin, banjo and ukulele. My youngest is starting on the guitar and saxophone. And I'm having my son teach me ukulele. We have a great time. =D My poor husband. He only knows how to play the radio. (his words) lol
    Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 AM

Good morning ladies,
    Hope you had a good/great weekend. Mine was good, mom doing a little better. Went to the quilt store for a SS Santa swap. Will finish getting that together this week.

I am so ready to get back to doing some sewing/quilting. This week is already full with doctor appointments for both parents. I am now the only family for both of them in Texas. mom's husbands daughter just moved to NC, but it changes nothing as he never wanted her to do anything for him only me.

Remember to choose wisely, drink your water.
    Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM

I finally got my act together last week and lost a few of the pounds I had gained. I need to lose 2 more lbs. to be where I was before going crazy with my eating! Not doing the stress eating has helped a lot. I am drinking my water and not bingeing as much. I just looked up the definition of binge..." A period of uncontrolled self-indulgence". Yep, that would be exactly what I did!

I have a quilt top done but keep putting off quilting it. That's the part I don't care for. Especially having to quilt it on my little old Singer I've had since 1978. It's for my cousin's daughter and I would like to get it done and out of my way. I've ignored it sitting there while I play with the New York Beauty blocks I found online. When I get some time, I will show you what I've done. I didn't think I would like it but paper piecing is fun! I do admit though, I have had to rip out something on almost every block. haha Still, it is relieving stress for me, so I keep going.

My husband has 15 more days until his retirement. He always saves his vacation time for December so he only has to work the first two days in December and then he will not ever have to go back to his job. He's excited and I am too. He's a good, kind, man and always says to me..."whatever makes you happy makes me happy". Who could ask for anything more! Well, I guess I'd better get off here and do something. haha Have a great day everyone.
    Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 AM

Yikes, hate that water weight gain. Started some hormone treatment and now sacked on water weight, hands are swollen and feet. Yucky!
    Then to top that off, tried to start even doing a simple 10 minute workout and bam, low back went out so off to the chiro today to get it back in place, ice and heat treatment for a couple of days and then I should be back on track. Could not even sit hardly last night to sew. Sure get the thoracic area fixed and now to deal with low back/sac.
    I did manage to sew up the Christmas skirt and get it ready for the second set of cutting and then started on my butterfly and could only get thru a couple rows there, three more to go. I also, this Sunday, got one of the t-shirt quilts assembled and ready for longarm, now, not that he knows about this surprise, have the second one on the wall and ready to assemble. Oh darn, I need to go to fabric store and get some more fabric for it. What a big bummer. Will do that when I get off work and before chiro appt. Both are just a couple blocks from each other.
    Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Our remodel project started this morning. Boy, was that not fun to clean out the whole master bath and closet. We have been in this house since 1989 and there were things in the closet since that time. It's unbelievable how much stuff was in that closet! Quite a bit went in the garbage and another good amount to the church for their upcoming thrift sale. Hubby and I will be sleeping in the guest room for the next month or so. That room is packed full!
    Allie had 2 teeth come in over the weekend. There's just 1 to go for now. That will make 8 teeth which is quite a mouth full for an 8 1/2 month old. Hopefully she will start feeling better and get back to sleeping through the night.
    I have been bad with my eating and have gained. Time to get back on track.
    Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Glad to hear that you mom is doing better Cindy.
    I am heading down to my mom's for the night. First is guild meeting, I am showing the four tops for the children of the downed helicopter pilots, they are only tops right now, but finished ones. I am also bringing in 7 little Christmas quilts for the NICU as well as 11 other little NICU quilts.
    After guild I am picking up my daughter and grand daughter and driving to mom's. It's 100 mile with Los Angeles in the middle. On Wednesday we are going up to my 2nd daughters house after she gets off work and play with my 2 grand sons. The cousins don't get to see each other very much. We will stay until after dinner (and traffic cools off) and drive back.
    Thursday DH and I leave for 4 night in Yosemite for a Weekend to Remember Marriage Retreat. Which means, I will be eating restaurant food and not have as good of food choices.
    Hope you all have a great week and weekend. I will not have a computer accessible except for late Wed evening.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 AM
    Power Poster

I am up late again with insomnia. It's so cold for us tonight. Visited with my dad today, and he took me into mom's sewing room. She has a lot of her stash still in there. I could just feel mom all around in there. I felt close to her, but sad too. I want to spend more time each day with dad. If something happens to him, and at 81 his days are getting shorter, I don't know what I will do. When I see him he tells me more stories of when he was growing up, and things I had not heard before so they are really enjoyed. Have a good week everyone. I still need to get my fat/skinny quarter in the mail. So much going on, and this time of year it seems like it just gets busier. It will get there though.
    Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Ladies, may I ask for your prayers please. My daughter got a concussion on Monday and is in bed now with headache, yes took her to doctor yesterday. DH received news from ct scan that there is a mass in his intestine. He lost his grandpa to such. Then went to chiro last night, adjusted and then it went out again and there is so much to do. HELP!!!!!