Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Now that it is almost time to open gifts >
  • Now that it is almost time to open gifts

• Now that it is almost time to open gifts

Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick
    I politely say thank you and take it home and then put it in my donate box; I am a bit of a neat nick and I go through the house 4x a year and de-clutter etc.... and then take it to the good will. If it is a on going nick knack giver I send a thank you note with with the following:

Dear Jane and Bob

It was so good to see you again; I hope that your New Year is off to a good start and that all is well with you. I want to thank you for the beautiful ____________, it was so thoughtful of you to think of us!! We have managed to find the perfect place for it in our home; thank you!!! Jim and I were recently discussing how many wonderful things we have received over the years and how blessed we are to have such thoughtful and generous friends and family; so much so that we have no more room to fit them all!! We are asking that for the coming years in lieu of gifts, that a donation be made to Toys for Tots so that your generosity and kindness can be shared with a child who may not have a Christmas without wonderful people like you. Thank you again for the beautiful _________, and we are looking forward to sharing Christmas with you again next year!!!!

Much Love,

Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM

This is why I declared no gift exchange between my friends, who are not quilters. The years we did this were stressful and I always got stuff I didn't want. Now we get together after Christmas for a lunch and spend hours laughing and talking. The best gift if the gift of friendship. Now my daughter and her family are giving me the Kindle Fire and I am so excited for gift opening time to come. She had to tell me she got it for me as I had preordered the cheaper Kindle. So I cancelled mine and will act so very surprised when I open it as the Grandkids are also excited to be giving it to me.
    Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 PM
    Power Poster

I don't get gifts I don't want, kids last several years have given me gift cards for fabric. I don't need it but, not about to turn them down.
    Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM

It seems that most of us who are retired share the same feelings and thoughts about gifts. DH and I do not need or want a thing that we do not buy right then and there. We are so fortunate and we know it. We have children who can afford gifts, but we'd really rather they bought nothing, just to see them is pleasure enough. Then we have children who can't afford gifts, that we don't get to see that often, and the pleasure is in talking to them on the phone. We are so blessed.
    Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I would opt for a gift card. Pick a store they shop at frequently. Groceries are welcome in my house or Joann's fabric store.
    Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Would just as soon receive a gift card to a restaurant rather than "stuff" that I can't use or that clutters. Have too much stuff that needs to go as it is.

mltquilt
    Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Wonderful and gracious way to handle this. Thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by tallchick
    I politely say thank you and take it home and then put it in my donate box; I am a bit of a neat nick and I go through the house 4x a year and de-clutter etc.... and then take it to the good will. If it is a on going nick knack giver I send a thank you note with with the following:

Dear Jane and Bob

It was so good to see you again; I hope that your New Year is off to a good start and that all is well with you. I want to thank you for the beautiful ____________, it was so thoughtful of you to think of us!! We have managed to find the perfect place for it in our home; thank you!!! Jim and I were recently discussing how many wonderful things we have received over the years and how blessed we are to have such thoughtful and generous friends and family; so much so that we have no more room to fit them all!! We are asking that for the coming years in lieu of gifts, that a donation be made to Toys for Tots so that your generosity and kindness can be shared with a child who may not have a Christmas without wonderful people like you. Thank you again for the beautiful _________, and we are looking forward to sharing Christmas with you again next year!!!!

Much Love,

Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Well I don't worry about that. We make it well known that we do not want anybody to spend their money on us. Things are hard for most of the family right now and we feel the gift part is more enjoyable to the little ones in the family; besides we buy for ourselves throughout the year and don't really need anything. We tell the kids to take any money they would have spent on us and buy for their kids. To me the time spent with the family is the only gift I need.
    Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM

I love gifts like that, because I usually keep them a year or two and regift them to someone else! Only problem is in remembering who gave the gift to me originally so they don't get it back! lol
    Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The only "knick-knacks" I enjoy these days are ones that can live year-round in the garden. I don't dust the garden!