Now I'm A Believer

Old 07-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I'm not sure of the name of the site, but I have heard that you can RENT textbooks on line now. You might want to check it out. Back in the olden day, when I was in college, your only options were the campus book store, or used books you found through ads posted on bulletin boards around campus.
I'm still looking around though, my biggest thing is the Work book for spanish...
Old 07-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

If you get them from the school and use your financial aid, which is what they want , you pay a LOT more for the books. If you can buy them elsewhere do so and save the money in the aid package for the room and board and other fees that can add up quickly .

Buy your regular supplies from Target/ Kmart./ Walmart ... it is nice to have the school name on everything but you pay dearly for it
:wink:
Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Did you ask someone at the school if there is a book store for these? We have a store just for schools books here in Des Moines. I didn't know it but my nephew did because he's the student. He found out quite by accident.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm not sure... I know that we have the Book Cellar (belongs to the school) But I've never heard of a store that just sold Text Books independently... maybe I'll check that out. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Just watch to make sure you are getting the correct edition . The book looks the same but there change things and then mark them 2nd, 3rd, 4th edition. I think they do it to make more money :wink: LOL And to cut down on the resell markets :shock:
I agree be careful that it is the right edition, my daughter decided to buy books from Amazon and ended up not having the correct copy. Careful!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 AM

There are four websites that you might want to look at. Try "www.bookbyte.com", "www.abebooks.com", and "www.ecampus.com". My GD buys the books for her husband who is now in his Masters Program. The bookbyte website has had the cheapest and best prices for her. But she found that all three were less than Amazon or e-Bay. There's also "www.chegg.com" where you can rent the books which come with a return label when you receive them. Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM

I will check those out! Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Yes it does pay to shop around and check the editons before you buy them.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM

My daughter's roommate used Chegg.com to rent her books. My son recommended to me to check ratemyprofessor.com because sometimes the students rating the instructors will say things like "don't buy the book - it was never used." or whatever. the college library will also carry at least one copy of each textbook that you can read in the library.

I would wait to buy the fridge and microwave until you've talked to your roommate. then you can figure out who brings what.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Here's a really great way to save money on textbooks. Find the international edition. You have to do a little research to make sure you get the exact ISBN, edition, etc. These are the same books but softcover and B/W only. As an example, I looked up a textbook for an electrical engineering class and it was about $150 but the International Edition was $30. You just have to be careful. If I get a little more time, I'll write more explicit instructions but I bet you are smart enough to figure it out.