Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • O.K. I Can't Stand it Anymore..... >
  • O.K. I Can't Stand it Anymore.....

• O.K. I Can't Stand it Anymore.....

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

I have to have the house picked up, laundry done, dishes done, and anything else that's seems out of place, then I can sit and work on quilts, etc. Just one of my quirks.. I do manage to get quite a bit done. Also I have to be in the mood...I have grandson with me this summer, so a little more work to do that normal. He's 11, and wants to sew, so we are getting a Roy Rogers panel with co-ordinating fabrics together to start. No..he hasn't a clue who Roy Rogers was, so I found a DVD on Amazon that has 20 of Roy's movies, so we are going to watch those so he will have a sense of who he was. Should be a lot of fun..
    Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Me too.
    Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 AM

I do minimal cleaning, DH will sometimes do dishes but will not let me vaccuum. We used to be much more picky, but with the kids grown up with families of their own, we don't have many visits from family because they are busy. DH has his hobby and I have mine, so no conflicts there. However, when the family comes up for the holidays (like this weekend) I have to figure out where to put all the fabric that has found its way into the spare bedrooms.
    Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM

My answer to my DH was if you don't like a mess clean it your self we bothed worked and I would some times sew untill midnight making grand kids clothes as their parents couldn't afford them. The second to the oldest girl came over three days before school and asked if I would make my GD some clothes ( needless to say the GD got five shorts set and the 3 yr old got three)
    Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 PM

I hate house cleaning. I write notes to DH on the coffee table dust. However, I work full-time and DH doesn't lift a finger to do anything, so his laundry gets done last and if I don't feel like cooking, oh well, it's takeout.

Where can I find me one of those hubbys. LOL.
    Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM

I use the ' 5,10,15 minute' rule.... If I can do it in 5,10, or 15 minutes; I do it, otherwise the house can stay cluttered. Luckily it's my husband I and the dog & cat. My husband cleans up after himself ( I LOVE THAT MAN!) I set the timer for 20 mins in the sewing room, you can get a lot done in 20 mins. MAKE the time for your hobby. Let the other stuff go, ( not the garden...) or, lower your standards and have the rest of the family do it to the best of thier ability.
    Old 07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by rexie
    How do you all get so much done? The quilts you show are so detailed and show lots of hours. I have to cook, clean house, do laundry, do the shopping, clean the pool, can from my garden, pull weeds from flower beds..etc. So do you have maids? Friends that come in and do this stuff for you? How do you do it?
    Why do you do all that? Everyone does their own laundry in my house after the age of eight, even DH! I don't cook breakfast or lunch. I usually cook dinner but not always. I clean a clean house. I learned that from Flylady.net My housework is the least of my time. About an hour a day with deep cleaning chores shared with DH once a week. I have all day to garden or sew or shop. Right now the house is in the middle of a remodel so I don't do anything but stay out of the way. :D
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by kwhite
    We are all independantly wealthy. Aren't YOU?!?!?! I don't know how you people slip through the screening process to get onto this board. Seriously!!!!!!

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Yup, you do indeed set the standard!! (an extremely low one, but standards are standards after all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
    Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 PM

I do my necessary housecleaning in the mornings. One room at a time and do only one each day. The rest of the day is for I want to do - quilting or reading. House is not clean all at once, but who cares. We only live once and I'm not going to be a slave to my house.
    Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM

I cook, clean, do the laundry, garden, and can and freeze what comes out of the garden. I don't have any kids at home and my granboys seem like they're a million miles away(actually 2000 miles away). I still find time to quilt, knit, crochet, and sew some clothes. I just make the time to do it. I think we find time for what we really want and need to do. By the way, I did all of these things when I had kids and grankids at home too.