Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >
  • Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

• Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi, lauriejo. Nice to see your face. Shoes - if you think you can handle the rocker soles, Avia tone up shoes have allowed me to walk when my nerve damaged toes are acting up. Because the sole rocks, my toes don't have to bend. The Avia are firmer than some of the others, but not heavy and stiff like the Sketchers. My massage therapist was surprised at the tone of the muscles in my calves.

Congrats on the reduction of the pop/soda, etc. I know it's tough. I've been off 18 years and I still want a Coke. If the small bottle doesn't do it, try mixing it with the aforementioned Faygo Sparkling water.

I couldn't get along without my scale. I am a daily weigher.

Hey, I know what's wrong with me. Culver's was the key word - thank you, lynne. My gall bladder is acting up again. It hasn't been this bad in 47 years. I feel better now that I know what's wrong. I probably have to see my doctor, but no surgery wanted, thank you.
    Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM

I love steel cut oatmeal. Cooks Illustrated had a great recipe. 1 cup of the steel cut oatmeal - roast 2/3 minutes on the stove. 3 cups of water and 1 cup of milk (I use non fat) In pot till boil, then add the oatmeal. Cook 25-30 minutes on simmer. I add raisins toward the end. It is yummy and with cold weather coming, what a wonderful start of the day. I read somewhere else that you could put it in the crock pot before you go to bed on low. Great way to wake up in the morning. You will probably have left overs which is a quick microwave away the following day.
    I am new to the board, I look forward to other recipes that have been successful with others. One place I check daily is foodgawker.com - fun but not diet friendly.
    Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Originally Posted by purplemem
    I need help lowering my cholesterol.
    My numbers are up and I can't take statin drugs.

What are natural ways to lower cholesterol? I already eat Omega3s and whole grains daily...
    Have a bowl of old fashion oatmeal every morning...not instant; that works for my hubby.
    Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Hi, lauriejo. Nice to see your face. Shoes - if you think you can handle the rocker soles, Avia tone up shoes

Hey, I know what's wrong with me. Culver's was the key word - thank you, lynne. My gall bladder is acting up again. It hasn't been this bad in 47 years. I feel better now that I know what's wrong. I probably have to see my doctor, but no surgery wanted, thank you.
    Uh, what did I do? lol I have those very shoes on my feet right now. I would not have paid $100, but they were closeouts at Penneys for $30 and they actually had my size. They are my very favorite shoes! Where did you get yours? I'm gonna want another pair or five. Until I bought these high dollar socks, they rubbed blisters on my toes during walks over 4 miles.

I weigh every morning in my birthday suit. I did go buy a new battery yesterday and the difference in old & new is an increase of .6#. I don't guess that is too bad.

MJ, I did not know coumadin was in blueberries. I don't like fresh ones, but can tolerate them in smoothies or muffins.
    Old 10-02-2011, 02:44 PM

I order my Avias from Avia Direct. I think they are about $65. I've been getting $5 off w/free shipping coupons in the mail, but I pitched them. The brown shoes run a little large, but that's okay as I wanted my toes to have room when I ordered them. The white ones are true to size. My toes are safe - I never walk over 4 miles. Even last Sunday when I did 4 1/2, I did it in two outings. One with friends for the CROP Walk and one with the dogs.
    Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 PM
    mim

I just looked up blueberries and coumadin -- You should read the site -- Blueberries have Vitamin K which is needed. The only restriction is not to go OVER the recommended daily requirement.

You should check with your doc and a dietitan. Dietitians are a very valuable resource of what foods go with what meds.

I took care of a lady with glaucome who was advised to eat blueberries and walnuts daily to help her condition. I had never heard of it before.

I have to be careful with many OTC meds because of my eye problem and bleeding. -- So I did check about foods and suppliments.
    Mim
    \\
    Originally Posted by Leann
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    Hi, lauriejo. Nice to see your face. Shoes - if you think you can handle the rocker soles, Avia tone up shoes

Uh, what did I do? lol I have those very shoes on my feet right now. I would not have paid $100, but they were closeouts at Penneys for $30 and they actually had my size. They are my very favorite shoes! Where did you get yours? I'm gonna want another pair or five. Until I bought these high dollar socks, they rubbed blisters on my toes during walks over 4 miles.

I weigh every morning in my birthday suit. I did go buy a new battery yesterday and the difference in old & new is an increase of .6#. I don't guess that is too bad.

MJ, I did not know coumadin was in blueberries. I don't like fresh ones, but can tolerate them in smoothies or muffins.
    Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM

MJ, I scanned this from my 17day diet book............
    Are there natural supplements Ican take instead
    of drugs to help lower my cholesterol?
    Yes! A strict diet can probably reduce your cholesterol by 10 to 15 percent.
    Most docs agree that diet works best when combined with cholesterol reducing
    drugs likestatin drugs. Statins can drop LDLand total cholesterol by
    as much as a third by inhibiting the production of cholesterol by the liver. But
    these drugs come with a slew of potential side effects. The most common side
    effect is muscle aches. Other complaints include headaches, nausea, weakness,
    upset stomach and [oint pain. I see these problems all the time.
    Here's what I do for patients who can't tolerate statins but need to lower their
    cholesterol. I prescribe a combination of niacin (a Bvitamin), fish oil and flaxseed
    oil in these amounts:
    Niacin: 250 milligrams a day for two or more weeks until they experience
    no flushing, which is a common side effect of niacin. After two weeks, I
    increase their dose to 500 milligrams a day. Once they tolerate that dose
    well, I increase the dose again to 750 milligrams daily.
    Fish 0il: 3 grams a day.
    Flaxseed 0il: 1 tablespoon a day (this can be part of a salad dressing.)
    Allthree substances are natural supplements you can purchase at a health food
    store or your pharmacy. The combination works powerfully to lower cholesterol,
    but always check with your own physician before self-medicating with
    supplements.

hth
    Old 10-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Oh, Cindy, I am a newbie. Don't know you,but you will be in my prayers for a quick and complete recovery. God makes miracles all the time. And He is with you always.
    Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Thank you for your cholesterol comments. I will discuss them with my doctors.

Vitamin K is restricted because it affects the action of coumadin. I am not allowed it all.
    Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
    mim

Ed and I had our weigh in this morning -- we both started out the month badly -- we had company several times this week and that meant scrumptious meals so we ate too much. Tomorrow will be better -- and today was better also
    Mim
    Old 10-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Well, last month was dismal - I didn't check in here at all and I gained several pounds. My eating habits were terrible. (two days into this month and I've overdone it both days big time already). I did so well in August so I don't know why the crash and burn for September! So! Looks like I need to try again here this month and start using MFP again too. I will get Aug. and Sept. fabrics sent out this week, with apologies to Aug winner (oldcottontop I think)
    Nancy