Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Oh My the Heat in Wichita KS >
  • Oh My the Heat in Wichita KS

• Oh My the Heat in Wichita KS

Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I live in Wichita and have C O P D with the heat and humidity make it even harder.I have not been out side in over 35 days and I thank the walls are talking to me :) Is there any where in the US that it stays at 75 all year long?
    Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM

It's hot here in Indiana, but we've only had a couple of 3 digit days. Of course, 98 with a heat index of 115 is pretty warm too. Yuk, the humidity is awful. come on, snow!
    Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM

110 in the shade of my back patio here today. Sure am thankful for my AC, and the money in the bank to pay the bill. If it keeps up, we'll all have to take out bank loans to pay the electric bill.
    Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    110 in the shade of my back patio here today. Sure am thankful for my AC, and the money in the bank to pay the bill. If it keeps up, we'll all have to take out bank loans to pay the electric bill.
    How true it is!!!! DH has gone to run an errand and I am wondering how hot the van says it is. He says it is 108.
    Tommie
    Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
    Mother Nature has certainly been cruel. I hope and pray for relief for everyone. Actually, I'm hoping for some snow!
    I just NEW that someone would feel the way I do. Have been telling all that last winter they complained about the snow. I knew that somewhere along the line they might wish for that snowdrift out on the patio. I know I do. Temp here wouldn't be so bad (hi 80s) it's that darn humidity.
    Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm in Abilene, Texas and today is day 47 or 48 of over 100 degrees. We haven't had rain in months and everything is either dead or on it's way to dead.

My electric bill (we are all electric here) was at an all-time high last month and I expect the same this month.

Incredible heat and dry.
    Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I am so over this heat wave. I am in Topeka and it is hotter who goosed a moose here. I work for a commercial ice machine company and we have been going nuts trying to keep everyone in ice.
    Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM

It was only 103 today. I'm tired of triple digit temps. already.
    The water and electric bill is gonna be downright frightening. We're trying to keep what veggie plants that have survived this unrelenting heat. Texas is so parched, the ground around my home has huge,deep cracks. I've never seen it this bad.
    Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM

We don't have it as bad as you all with temps in the mid to high 90's and much humidity but, we, also, have had little rain...they say we'll have a thunderstorm but we get a little thunder and a few drops of rain. Everywhere I go I see fir and cedar and spruce turning brown as well as some of the oak and other trees. Just gave up on my flowers which all died despite my valiant attempts at watering and slowly all the yards are turning brown.
    Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    Same here Janice. I even tore out all of my flowers (annuals) that I have been really babying, trying to keep them alive. Not worth it. So they are gone and we will just concentrate on trying to keep the lawn somewhat green and the shrubs alive. My elec. bill alone this month was $474.00 Went up $110 from last month. Our house is just 1800 sq ft and we really try to conserve all that we can. I am so ready for Fall AND Winter.