Oh No Shingles

Old 09-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Ask the doctor for Lidocain Patches. They can be worn for 12 hours then replace after another 12 hours. I used mine while I was sleeping it helped to sleep and not itch.
Hope something works for him. I've had them twice and they are not fun.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Shingles are horrible. For anyone that doesn't know, there is a vaczine for them now. If you haven't had the shot, well worth getting. MOST insurance co will not pay for it, so you have to pay it yourself and it IS pricey. Cost my husband & I over 300.00 for the 2 of us.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM

My hubby had shingles a few years ago and they gave him a drug called Neurontin. It helped with his pain but gave him weird dreams. He was happy to have the dreams to get rid of the pain. Good luck to your neighbor.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Will pray for him.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM

L-Lysine will work. Someone here gave the dosage. It can't hurt you to try it. Most MDs do not know how to treat with vitamins, minerals and/or amino acids. It is a real shame. If I know something natural that will help me, I usually ask the MD, "Will this hurt me?" Having something like shingles for a long period of time tells me there is something wrong/missing in the body. Let's correct that, if possible.
L-Lysine also works for fever blisters, mono-nucleosis, and any herpes-type infection.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
DD had shingles that broke out above her temple. She gets an outbreak when she gets too stressed. She gets a nerve blocker shot for that area. It's the only thing that works for her. I'm surprised the Dr. didn't suggest the shot for him if he can take it.
Nerve blocker shot???? As in, no pain from my facial nerve, that has shingles in it???? Where do I find info. I am not yet 60, so I can't get the vaccine. I have lived with the pain in my face since my first outbreak of shingles 14 years ago! It never fades. Please tell me more?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 PM

Shingles is a nasty thing to have. I had it hit me about four years ago, and the pain still tries to surface occasionally. Stress triggers it. I control mine with colloidal silver. Not everyone believes it works, but it eased my pain 95%. That is one mean virus left over from chicken-pox..... God bless whoever gets it. Be careful, it can cause blindness if near the eyes. Thank goodness mine was on my shoulder/chest area.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Hopefully he was put on Valtrex when he was diagnosed. I had them in March and started Valtrex the afternoon of my first blister showing up. I still ended up with a pretty severe case. One thing that helped a lot is that I took Gabapentin (Neurontin) which helps with pain caused by nerve damage (like neuropathy). I ended up having to take the highest dose before I started feeling relief and have taken it since March for the post-herpetic pain (post shingles pain). I think many people don't get relief with the Neurontin because of under-dosing. The low dose is 300 mg and the highest dose is over 3000 mg. The dose may cause some drowsiness initially but that passes fairly soon for most people. My physician told me that some people have to take it for the rest of their lives but that isn't generally a problem because of the low incidence of side effects and low cost, but I think that some physicians are hesitant to order a high enough dose. I have been attempting to wean myself off this past week and haven't had the pain return. The only other thing that I can remember that helped during the acute phase was ice packs over the blistered area.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM

I use MSM for long term pain in my long ago broken ankle.
It also seems to help allergies..it is a form of Sulfur. Think about all those famous Sulphur Springs that people have flocked to for ages even in spite of the stinking water. They sit in it so it will be absorbed through the skin and even drink it.
Now we can get it in capsules or powder, even though it's bitter I can take it in juice.
Won't hurt, might help him a lot.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

All I know is it is a nerve blocker shot. I just read your question so I will call her tomorrow and ask all about it.