Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • OK Another Question For The Health Experts Here About Sugar >
  • OK Another Question For The Health Experts Here About Sugar

• OK Another Question For The Health Experts Here About Sugar

Old 03-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Avage nectar is supposed to be another type of natural sweetener. I bought some but haven't used it yet. Has anyone tried it?
    Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

Agave nectar is about all I use in my drinks. It's like honey but doesn't taste like honey, just sweet. It does not raise the sugar level in your body and is great for diabetics. It's great for pancakes, hot biscuits, toast, oatmeal, anywhere you would love syrup or honey. I buy it at WalMart, it's hard to find sometimes because most stockers have no idea what it is so put it in all different aisles. I use Truvia for dry sweetening. Plain Stevia tastes horrible to most, very strong licorice taste. I bake with half sugar and half Truvia. One sugar fact that few know. One sugar mixed with one artifical sweetner doubles the sweetness. So 1/2 cup Sugar and 1/2 cup (Splenda, Sweet low, Equal, Truvia..) will be as sweet as 2 cups sugar. For baking you need the bulk regular sugar adds that the artificial does not. I have read every thing there is to read on sugar. And for the most part if you have no health problems then regular sugar is best if eaten in moderation. No dessert every day for everyone, not just mom.
    Forgot to say I love brown rice syrup but it's not sold in any store in my town.
    Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
    Power Poster

I can't tell you much about 'raw sugar', but I can tell you that one time while surfing the web, somehow, I was reading about what most of us call 'table sugar'...
    no marsye, not getting your sugar on the table...get your mind out of the gutter...now back on subject:
    I had no idea how much sugar,...what I thought was just plain old boiled cane stalks...how much they do to it, before they bag it and stick it on the shelves....unbelievable.
    So, if I was a sugar eating person...uh, uh...like I said...out of the gutter, marsye!...
    if'n I wuz a sugar eating person...I would go for the raw too!
    (can you tell I just read one of your other threads?) :lol:
    Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Sugar is sugar. Even the fake sugars. You will want it if you use it. I had to give up sugar in my coffee and tea when I was pregnant with my 18 year old and after he was born I could go back to it, but it tasted so yucky. I've never gone back. You can train yourself not to crave sweet things. Now if I could just train myself not to like salty things! It's always something! My mom's mantra is "moderation."
    Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM

we use xyletol or stevia, just bought some agave nectar, all are organic! natural doesn't meen much.