OMG! Gas prices!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I do agree with ptquilts. I think they need to put a "luxury" tax on the big SUV's(stupid useless vehicles) and the huge pickups. Other than the middle east, we have the cheapest gas in the world, and what has it gotten us? More vehicles on the road, families having multiple vehicles, very few people carpool, very few people ride public transportation, too many people get in their car and drive down the street to do shopping. I do understand that carpooling and public transportation wouldn't work for everyone, but I've seen the lines of vehicles on the freeways, big SUV's with 1 person in it, you can't tell me that among all that mass of cars, that NO ONE can carpool? Unlikely.

We feel the pinch just like everyone else, but maybe this will inspire people to get all their shopping done at one time and not make multiple trips.
I'm sorry you feel this way....I'm one of those people who have one of those big *gas guzzlers*, only mine is diesel. My truck is a 99 model, Ford 1 ton dually. PAID FOR. Being on a fixed income, there is no way in h*ll I could afford a car payment. I wouldn't own a car in any case as I think the are stupid useless vehicles. I miss my SUV but it needs repairs that I can't afford.

A truck or SUV is a practical vehicle. Not all of us want a vehicle that will fold up like an accordion if you get in a wreck. My husband is disabled, and I have to have a lift on the back of my truck to carry his scooter on so he can get around. A car sure wouldn't work. Each to their own. One size DOES NOT fit all.

I fill my truck up once a month and I have to make it last. I do very little running and when I do, I consolidate my errands. It cost me around $100 to fill up. When I bought it, diesel was 80¢ a gallon. I bet you spend more than $100 a month for fuel.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM

We have changed our driving habits. We combine trips as often as we can. My husband has a 20 mile commute to work. He drives a pick-up truck. On Monday he had to drive thru 7 inches of snow on unplowed highway all the way to work. Even in 4 wheel drive he had problems sliding all over the road, saw many in the ditch, etc. There are many areas where you have to have a large vehicle to get to work or any place else.

I can't see how they figure ethanol is cheaper. It takes a food source to make, takes gas to make, etc & it's causing major engine issues in older cars. It's not anymore enviromentally friendly than gas it.

They have developed engines that get 50-100 MPH....but the gas companies bought the designs so they had control over us. It's all about GREED!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Melinda in Tulsa-I'm not saying that everyone that has an SUV doesn't have a good use for it, I'm just saying that the majority of people I've seen with them, have them just because they're big. I also have a big '84 Suburban, which we got to haul the stock trailer and that's about the only time we use it. We also have a '94 4Runner and the only reason we have that is because it's 4 wheel drive and just about the only time we use it, is during the winter. Our '89 Cadillac gets 26 mpg., so that's what we drive 95% of the time.

But, it's way more than time that we have alternative fuels. I also realize that public transportation isn't really doable, but on the other hand, we live in a county that has roughly 10,000 people and we do have a little bus system out of Alturas, population less than 3,000, that goes to Redding, Klamath Falls, Susanville, Reno and the likes, very reasonable and will even come to your home for a nominal fee of $2.00. So I find it hard to swallow that a larger town can't do the same.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I do agree with ptquilts. I think they need to put a "luxury" tax on the big SUV's(stupid useless vehicles) and the huge pickups. Other than the middle east, we have the cheapest gas in the world, and what has it gotten us? More vehicles on the road, families having multiple vehicles, very few people carpool, very few people ride public transportation, too many people get in their car and drive down the street to do shopping. I do understand that carpooling and public transportation wouldn't work for everyone, but I've seen the lines of vehicles on the freeways, big SUV's with 1 person in it, you can't tell me that among all that mass of cars, that NO ONE can carpool? Unlikely.

We feel the pinch just like everyone else, but maybe this will inspire people to get all their shopping done at one time and not make multiple trips.
I'm sorry you feel this way....I'm one of those people who have one of those big *gas guzzlers*, only mine is diesel. My truck is a 99 model, Ford 1 ton dually. PAID FOR. Being on a fixed income, there is no way in h*ll I could afford a car payment. I wouldn't own a car in any case as I think the are stupid useless vehicles. I miss my SUV but it needs repairs that I can't afford.

A truck or SUV is a practical vehicle. Not all of us want a vehicle that will fold up like an accordion if you get in a wreck. My husband is disabled, and I have to have a lift on the back of my truck to carry his scooter on so he can get around. A car sure wouldn't work. Each to their own. One size DOES NOT fit all.

I fill my truck up once a month and I have to make it last. I do very little running and when I do, I consolidate my errands. It cost me around $100 to fill up. When I bought it, diesel was 80¢ a gallon. I bet you spend more than $100 a month for fuel.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I agree with you Melinda.
I depend no my truck. It serves our purpose.I use about 3/4 of a tank a week, I stop by the store after work if we need something. I work 12 hour rotating shifts and because of that we have 7 days off in a stretch every month. That is when I do most of my errands and shopping.
My daughter drives a Toyota corolla,great gas mileage but guess who she calls at least once a month to pick up something for her ,because it will not fit in her car.LOL
My co-worker has a sign on his back window....NO I will not help you move... :-D :-D
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Diesel is already over $4 here. Reg is approaching fast to the that price here.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Melinda in Tulsa-I'm not saying that everyone that has an SUV doesn't have a good use for it, I'm just saying that the majority of people I've seen with them, have them just because they're big. I also have a big '84 Suburban, which we got to haul the stock trailer and that's about the only time we use it. We also have a '94 4Runner and the only reason we have that is because it's 4 wheel drive and just about the only time we use it, is during the winter. Our '89 Cadillac gets 26 mpg., so that's what we drive 95% of the time.

But, it's way more than time that we have alternative fuels. I also realize that public transportation isn't really doable, but on the other hand, we live in a county that has roughly 10,000 people and we do have a little bus system out of Alturas, population less than 3,000, that goes to Redding, Klamath Falls, Susanville, Reno and the likes, very reasonable and will even come to your home for a nominal fee of $2.00. So I find it hard to swallow that a larger town can't do the same.
See You have a public transportation system in the county, most of us don't.We have it in town,but it doesn't even run to my workplace.
Tthere really isn't that much difference between your Caddys and my trucks gasmileage. I get between 20 to 22 miles on mine.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Ours is 3.40 a gallon here in Pennsylvania.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by franie
Diesel is already over $4 here. Reg is approaching fast to the that price here.
i don't understand why Diesel is more than regular, since it takes a lot less to produce diesel.
We will see the price increase in our groceries and other goods very soon.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3
We have changed our driving habits. We combine trips as often as we can. My husband has a 20 mile commute to work. He drives a pick-up truck. On Monday he had to drive thru 7 inches of snow on unplowed highway all the way to work. Even in 4 wheel drive he had problems sliding all over the road, saw many in the ditch, etc. There are many areas where you have to have a large vehicle to get to work or any place else.

I can't see how they figure ethanol is cheaper. It takes a food source to make, takes gas to make, etc & it's causing major engine issues in older cars. It's not anymore enviromentally friendly than gas it.

They have developed engines that get 50-100 MPH....but the gas companies bought the designs so they had control over us. It's all about GREED!
YES ,YES,YES!!!!!!!!!!!I totally agree with you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Not defending oil companies but it's always reported the billion dollar profit made each year but never is it reported that almost all of that profit goes back into the company to pay for geologists studies, new cargo ships, research,things that are not general expenses. Of course the big exes get a heft chunk but every big business overpays their top execs.

There are lots of alternative to oil right now but it is not economically feasible to use them in place of oil. The new electric cars will need electrical power. Electrical power made by coal, or nuclear plants. No one wants more power plants built that uses coal or nuclear. Not enough power made by hydro to supply a nation. How much do you think plugging in a car will cost if electrical power is in short supply? I have no clue what the US needs to do about oil but I know the US population is not prepared at all to not have the use of gasoline like other countries are accustomed to. Ok I'm off my soap box.