OMG! Gas prices!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM

I filled up two days ago for $2.92 before heading out of town. This morning on my way to work it was $3.09, but I didn't stop. I stopped at lunch and it was $3.21!!!

They were talking about it on the news this morning and were speculating that it might cause a double dip recession.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 PM

I wish they made motorcycle helmets small enough for my 3 yo DD and a car seat for the motorcyle too....I would ride my bike every day if I had all that....way cheap to fill up than my Expedition
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Wow. Better stock up on everything! ALL prices are going up! Clothes. Food. Pet supplies fabric!!
Now wait just a minute didn't the government just tell us a few months ago that the cost of living has not gone up.
So these prices are just our imagination. LOL
Haven't gone anywhere. but the last time I was out was Monday to refill a prescription and it was 2.99 then.

Going back to GA and getting a horse.at least then when I put something in the front I will have something to show for it. Shorter grass and fertilizer
Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Now wait just a minute didn't the government just tell us a few months ago that the cost of living has not gone up.
So these prices are just our imagination. LOL
Haven't gone anywhere. but the last time I was out was Monday to refill a prescription and it was 2.99 then.

Of course not...at least for them....cause they pay themselves and make sure they are taken care of....
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM

If Gas went to $10 a gal, the US would shut down in a matter of a couple weeks as no one could afford to go anywhere to purchase anything. Business's would be shutting down right and left, incuding quilt shops, maybe even places like Walmart would close due to no sales as people would have to choose between gas and needed items.
One guy on the news the other day was saying he had to choose between paying bills and gas to get to work - gas here where I am is around $3.09 a gal in most places.
Goods of all kinds will be going up soon, food, clothes, etc.
$10 a gal is not the answer, it would throw the nation back into a horrible ressession or worse very quickly.
I was reading in the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) that is Algeria got hit with the current violence the price of oil would go above $220 a barrel!
The price spike would be quick, no time to stock up. Sad.
Would mean gas prices of $6 - $8 or more a gal.
OUCH!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Vacations would go by the wayside too. So any place that exists on tourism would crash.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
BMP

I just did groceries and errands today on my way the gas was $3.39 on my way back and I was stopping to fill up it was $3.45 !!!!!!
As long as we will pay the price they are going to keep raising them. Peole just need to stop buying so much and we all can find ways to cut back.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM

As the price of gas keeps going up, what is going to happen to things like police, fire, rescue depts? They drive more than most.
What about post office delivery? (snail mail)
If the price gets so high that it makes it hard for those who really need to get around to do so, think of all the things that we will lose out on.
Repairs on roads, bus delivery of children to school (parents would need to find another way of getting kids to school)
Many departments do not have extra money in their budget for and an increase in gas would mean they would have to cut back.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
With the unrest in Libya, following what happened Egypt, it is inevitable, and it will effect all aspects of our lives.

And, of course, those that can buy stock in oil will probably do well.
I probably should not broche this subject but here I am. Oil is controlled by OPEC and they are the ones that control the price of oil. Also it is based on supply and demand. Now keep in mind oil is almost everywhere in the world so there is no shortage of it at all. So if you consider the fact that OPEC also determines just how much oil they feel like putting on the market they can control the price. They do the same thing with diamonds. Diamonds are everywhere but they only allow a few on the market every year.

Respectfully submitted,
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
When we are thinking when it's time to trade in my Dodge pickup, we may get a car or an SUV that is better on gas. I am not thrilled about paying 100 bucks again to fill up my truck.
Last time it went to 4 bucks I traded one of our cars for a Toyota Prius. Man it is a great little car and I average 45 miles to the gal.