Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
Is it so funny that I am like an old soul and I just wish that I could meet someone casually, run into them somewhere? It just seems that my wishes have no hope of surviving in the technological world. Darn it!
Start looking around at the grocery store.....see a good one and accidently bump into him with your grocery cart. Or pick out something you want on the very top shelf and ask a guy to reach it for you.......you just never know where a casual conversation will go.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by patchitpat
I met my husband at harmony.com and we were together over 30 years before he passed away almost 3 years ago.
Thinking of starting over as I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life, but I'm petrified.
Just be smart and DO take your cellphone and DO meet in a public place for the first few times.
I also know of someone that met on a site and come to find out this man sexually abused his own step kids
Be careful and pray about it!
There was no internet 30 years ago.....

I also met my husband on Match and he is a wonderful husband. As far as it being dangerous...so is walking down the street.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM

I met my hubby in 1998 online. Not a dating site, just a chat. I was 15 and he was 18 at the time. We weren't looking for a relationship, not even friendship. It just grew from there. We met in person in 2002, and married in 2006. He moved from England to the USA for me.

That said, be careful.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM

I do not trust a man that can not find a woman on his own in public. Be careful.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

My GF tried it and she met EVERY man that is portrayed in "Must Love Dogs" - yes, even the crier. Then she was introduced to a guy at a restaurant (he happens to be the manager). They are getting married this summer. You just never know where Cupid will send his arrow.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM

Well, my story is a wonderful outcome of online dating. My son signed up for a free preliminary 30-day offer at one of the online dating services.

He "met" a lady with interests similar to his (which this service allows you to do). They "talked" on line for a short time and something was said to make him ask "Do you by chance live at ....? and she, said, yes I do. Well he did too. (Can you believe this?) To make a long story short, after about a 2-year courtship, they married this last November and they are the cutest couple and I love her dearly. happy ending!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Use your brain not your heart.Your gut feelings should over rule your heart.
Like it has been said,BE CAREFUL Be PREPARED, Meet in public and drive your own car.Better yet if you have a friend double date!Don't give out your address or phone number over the internet.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM

I think these suggestions are applicable wherever you meet someone. But online, it's easier to lie. Be very careful. Listen to your gut. Have a back-up plan. Don't give out your last name or address. Although, a smart person could get that info with your phone number through a reverse directory. It's terrible that we have to be this way, but better safe than sorry. It would be better to look paranoid and foolish and be alive than the alternative.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

I met my DH online..we have been together 12 years, knew each other a year before we married...

HOWEVER, I met a lot of creeps before I met him. I did background checks on each one! Since my DH was in the military at the time he was the easiest to check out.

It has not all been FUN, easy, etc. we both had kids...that created its own issues....

would I do it again...NO....and I do not encourage others to do so either....
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Hi I met my husband of 41yrs,we were pinpals.We wrote while he was in Viet Nam,He came home and we dated 1yr befor marriage. I know its not the same but I had to really think things through befor I took the plunge.Please pray for an answer to this.Ask God to help you find the right guy for you,wether on line or not.The bible says God has our life planed for us and it is our responsibility to pray and listen for his answer,because it is much better that we can do.There are a lot of good stories here and then some bad.Just use discernment,ask other christians to be in prayer for you and see what God will do.I will keep you in prayer and ask my friends to also pray on your behalf.