Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Open for suggestions: How to temporarly attach super thin binding to fabric? >
  • Open for suggestions: How to temporarly attach super thin binding to fabric?

• Open for suggestions: How to temporarly attach super thin binding to fabric?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 PM

More questions relating to my stained glass quilting project.

Most of the things I read on the bias tape method of stained glass quilting says to use some sort of fusible to temporary attach the binding to the fabric until you sew it down. The problem is most of those instructions are for like 3/8" bias tape. The majority of my bias is either 1/8" or 3/16" and they don't make fusible bias tape that small. Or at least not that I'm aware of (and I looked).

I did a little bit of experimentation. I bought some 3/8" fusible tape (Heat n Bond), cut off 1/8" from it, cut a strip of fabric to 1/8", followed the instructions on attaching the tape to the fabric, and ironed the strip to another piece of fabric. And it actually worked. But I'd have to custom cut all my tape and it bonded to the fabric a little bit too well which would make it difficult to reposition. I really had to tug on it good to get that little strip off.

So here I am looking for suggestions on how to attach the super thin bias tape before stitching it down.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
    Power Poster

glue?
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 AM

Try Lite Steam-a-Seam 2. It is repositionable. It's tacky, so it will hold to the fabric until you can press it. Once pressed, it's like any other fusible.
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 AM

you might want to try elmers glue to temp hold down the bias instead of messing with any fusible.

once the glue is heat set it holds really well and washes out after its sewn down.
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 AM
    Power Poster

you can purchase fusable on a roll (like tape) that is 1/4" and 1/8" wide...it is what is used on the black bias for stained glass. it is not expensive= and is used with a bias tape maker to attach it to your leading.
    it is available from clotilde's and nancy's notions. it is on the page with the clover fusable bias tapes.
    i bought the roll of 1/4" i have now at joannes- it was very inexpensive....compared to the ready made fusable bias tapes.
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Glue!
    Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 AM

You can tack fuse almost any fusible web by just tapping it with the tip of your iron for a second or two every few inches instead of pressing it down for the full time instructed.
    Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I did a little bit of experimentation. I bought some 3/8" fusible tape (Heat n Bond), cut off 1/8" from it, cut a strip of fabric to 1/8", followed the instructions on attaching the tape to the fabric, and ironed the strip to another piece of fabric. And it actually worked. But I'd have to custom cut all my tape and it bonded to the fabric a little bit too well which would make it difficult to reposition. I really had to tug on it good to get that little strip off.
    I think I'm missing something.

Are you using just a piece of black fabric for the stained glass effect, or are you actually making bias binding from fabric (thinner, but like you can buy on the rolls)?

If it's just the single piece black fabric, wouldn't it be easier to attach the fusible (whatever width you bought) to the large piece of fabric and THEN cut the 1/8" strips?
    I'd even do it with a Steam-A-Seam lite sheet - and a larger piece of black(?) fabric, and then carve off the 1/8" cuts that are needed.

Like I said, I think I'm missing something.
    Wouldn't be the first time. ;-);-)
    Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 AM

Also what about spray fusing like I think it's maybe called 505? You'd probably have to spray it on a newspaper, but could most likely just lay all your strips out upside down, spritz and then set them out on the quilt top. I've never tried it, but just a thought, good luck.
    Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 AM

There is a not so new product called Hot Ribbon - it is thin ribbon with the fusible already on it. I have it in a kit but haven't tried working with it yet. It is supposed to hold your raw edges down so it should work for your project!