Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Opinions Please on  Washing Machine >
  • Opinions Please on Washing Machine

• Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM

KENMORE WASHER AND DRYER....
    ON ADDING CLOTHES, MINE GIVES A FEW MINUTES BEFORE THE DOORS LOCK THAT YOU CAN ADD CLOTHES, DO IT ALL THE TIME..!!
    Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM

I just bought a Matag HE top-loader with no agitator. I love it! The clothes come out cleaner,are well spun - so less drying time & with no agitator there is less problem with washing large items (quilts!). It is not loud. It takes little detergent and it is faster in it's cycles than my old machine. I love it!
    I did lots of research before purchasing and got this one for $700, as opposssed to $1,000+ for some of the others.
    I love it!
    Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM

I have Maytag Neptune stackable front load washer and dryer. YES I love them. And they're at least 25% cheaper now than when I bought mine 11 years ago, or so I hear.

Would definitely buy a front loader again, they save on water as well as detergent. And the spin cycle is very effective at getting the water out of clothes. ALSO, this is the preferred method if you were to wash a quilt, there's no agitator!

Two things I don't like:
    1) The wax seal prevents the washer door from opening till it cools, which can take 1-3 minutes. And had to have it replaced once, as well as the front rubber dam/seal that kept getting moldy. Both were under warranty.
    2) The dryer's lint filter doesn't seem to catch everything. I have to sweep little bits of lint from by porch after every use. Complained to Maytag, they sent me another filter....JUST LIKE the original one.
    Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Thank you all so much!!!! What a great help you have been.it is so nice to read all the pros and cons about these machines.
    Water is not an issue with us as we are on a good well...but power would be nice to cut back, plus on the soap too!
    Thank you again everyone for your input, I really appreciate your help.

sass
    Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM

I have a front loader and love it. They do have some cycles that do run longer than a top loader, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

They use less water, detergent, and energy and they really do outperform top loaders when it comes to cleaning.

They also are gentler to your laundry because instead of agitating, the clothes are tumbled.

Front loaders are larger than top loaders, so be sure to measure your space to be sure one will fit.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM

I have a front loader and love it. It gets the clothes much cleaner and senses the size load in it....no guess work on setting the load size. Spins really quiet etc. Wouldn't return to a top loader now how!!
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM

I had a whirlpool front loader, didn't like it that much because it would smell after a while. Then I got a whirlpool , cabrio, top loader. I guess it's energy efficient but you can't control the amount of water that goes in. I would wash my son's dirty work clothes and they would not get clean with one wash. Part of the problem was that the clothes were not covered with water. I guess the amount of water that goes in is according to the weight of the clothes. If the clothes are light weight not much water goes in. I also get soap scum on the dark clothes no matter what I do. If I could do it again I would get a regular top loader with the pole thing in the center. I'm not sure new and improved is better.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM

I have a GE top loader, no service calls for 12 years. I keep hoping it will go out because I want a front loader. My DIL has one and she loves it. Hers has all the bells and whistles. She can even dry clean her clothes.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
    I have a Bosch Nexxt 800 (front loader) and it's the best machine I've owned since my Miele in Germany. Not quite up to Meile standards, but heads and shoulders above Maytag!

It does an excellent job of cleaning, and yes it can take forever... the sanitary cycle, which heats the water, takes over 2 hours. I don't mind... I love super clean clothes!
    I second this, I have a Seimens frontloader and love the Templus cycle. It is a longer cycle. I don't think it takes any longer to do a load of clothes when you take into consideration that drying the clothes is so much faster because of the high speed of the washer spin.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM

I have the standard top loader. It an Amana washer and dryer. Since we have well water I have it hooked up to a separate water filter to keep the sediment out of the pump.