Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • order pick up from post office >
  • order pick up from post office

• order pick up from post office

Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 PM
    Banned

Never give them your slip, make them a copy. I am so sorry this has happened. I hope everything works out for you, and just smile as you tell the post master to please just do your job. :-) God bless. Penny
    Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 AM

What is it with rude post office people? I know there are some great people working in the post office (my FIL is one) but there are some real rude, snippy ones too.

However, no matter how bad you think they are here - overseas can be worse. I lived in Ecuador for two years and it was an ordeal every time i got a package from home.
    Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 AM

I too would bet that the problem is with the post office, not Connecting Threads. If you contact them, they can give you the specifics - number of boxes, the weight of each and the id numbers. This will prove very helpful when you go back to the post office. Each package mailed through USPS - and CT uses the on-line postage system- gives every package an individual id number which can be traced. Don't back down. If it were me, I would confront the ?itch and tell her you wanted to 'help' look. If she refuses tell her you want the number for the area supervisor. USPS people tend to forget that they are in a 'service' oriented business.
    Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Not justifying what happened to you, by any means, but all this brought up a memory.

Years ago my then DH and I went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. After a day there I decided to send cards to everyone at home. I had 6 cards. I finally found the PO...OMG it was dirt floors, and the people there (a family - NOT like our PO) apparently couldn't speak English (in fairness, I couldn't speak Spanish, either). After hand signals, they understood I wanted to mail the cards. They pointed to a HOLE in the WALL! Just a roughly cut out hole! I debated whether it was REALLY a post office!!! Well, the cards DID make it to my family and my office. EXACTLY one MONTH after I returned home!!!!!!! Yeah, we have a weird postal system but it's better than that!

I, too, would report the post mistress to the Post Master General. There are plenty of people who need and want her job!
    Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    Each package mailed through USPS ... gives every package an individual id number which can be traced.
    Well, no, not exactly. The package number is a delivery confirmation number, not a tracking number. (For FedEx and UPS the numbers actually DO provide tracking.)

USPS is not yet as sophisticated as the competition... but they're often not as expensive either.

And that delivery confirmation number... well, we send thousands of packages each year, and there are always a small handful where the delivery confirmation shows that the package has been delivered, but the customer states that she never received it. About a third of the time, the package magically "shows up" after about 30 days. The rest of the time we never do find out what happened. We suspect, though, that sometimes the packages are stolen. We've learned, for example, that when shipping to the New York City area, especially to apartments where mail may be left in a common area, that we need to get signature confirmation, to be sure that the package actually reaches the intended recipient.

Beware: even if you insure a package, if the recipient says they did not receive it, and USPS says that they did deliver it... as the sender you will NOT be compensated. USPS will always be right and you will always be wrong. You can't fight them; it's a waste of time and energy. Experience is a good teacher...