Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Organizing Embroidery Files >
  • Organizing Embroidery Files

• Organizing Embroidery Files

Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 AM

Thank you for posting the question as I also need to get organized.
    Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 AM

I used to have my embroidery files in categories but would rename the files to a name that would describe the file. But that got time consuming and tedious. Then I ran across a free program called Embrilliance that let you view the thumbnail of the design in Windows explorer. So now I simply create folders in categories and copy the files into the appropriate folder. I also have subfolders such as "birds" which is a subfolder of "animals". I sometimes will file a design under more than one folder. For instance if I have a design that has both flowers and birds I'll copy it in both a bird's category and a flowers category. I also file my designs in source of purchase categories, whether they were downloaded from cd's or from embroidery design websites.
    Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 AM

I keep my designs by digitizer or website. Those I have purchased will be in a folder by set or if individual in a singles folder with a "$" on it so I know they were not freebies. I also have a folder within my "Designs" called Projects for those I'm working on but not yet finished so I can go back to those designs easily. Also in the "Projects" folder I have a folder called "Labels" as I embroider all my quilt labels and have made a basic triangle design to set the lettering within. I use Embird for all my designs when I go to slice and dice, change colors, combine or make my labels and convert.
    Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 AM

One of the first things that I was taught about organizing taught me a valuable lesson. I get designs from different sources, some on line from different companies, some on CD from different events, etc. I was told to always keep the original one named as it came because most companies will let you download it again but you have to know the original name because most of them will from time to time, archive them. So, I have a folder that says embroidery, inside that folder I have folders that say, CD, USB and in that folder are copies of the CD's and USB saved under the companies name, this way I know if its a CD I have it and what the companies name is. I also have a folder for the downloaded files, all listed under the companies that I got them from. Now I do keep all formats that come with the design, in the original file. Then I go back thru them and organize them. At first I just put them into categories with the theme as the folder name, like which holiday it was, or season or animal, etc. I would then change the name but the name would have a small part of the company name in case I needed to go back and find it. Then I bought The Design Album, it's a great organizer and you can have as many categores as you want, you can also tag each design so if you were searching for a design for a category you could find it. Like for Easter, I can tag it, Easter, bunny, or anything else that would describe that design. Then when searching I could put in any tag names and pull up all of the designs with tag, click on the one that I want and it would find the design, it doesn't move it from its location, it just keeps track of it. You can also see a pic of all of your designs as well. Its a great program and doesn't cost a fortune. The main thing is to keep track of where you orginally got the design, CD, Event, like Anita Goodesign, or online or emb class and keep the original name. My one software will also let me create a jpeg of all of my designs to view in the pic album. I like being able to know exactly where my stuff is and where it came from. it also makes it easier to back up your files, I only make sure my orignals are backed up